I have chickens bought ready to lay, and still arent and are sneezing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phantomml, Sep 20, 2011.

1. phantomml

phantomml Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    I bought chickens at the beginning of June- "ready to lay" they are called from this store buffs- others call them comets production red or cinnomon queens. They started of with really yellow legs, small but red combs, and were full pullet size, and pretty well looked ready to lay.

I bought them as well as two friends. As far as we know from the same "hatch" being about 5 months old. None us us neglect feeding and infact I feed them all kinds of veggies and allow them to free range. The others feed them non stop feed, one free ranges, the other doesnt. We all have an assortment, all of us have 8 of these buffs, and my friends- who bought them for many years, has always had these laying withing weeks of getting them, then get rid of the older ones

One has 5 older ones in the pen with the 8 younger buffs and two americana, 2 barred rocks, and a leghorn with a game rooster. They free range and get as much feed and water as they want. All have a comfortable rooster and get shut in at their choice of bed, and get let out at 5 am. She thinks she is getting two from the new ones, but is getting 4 meduim brown eggs and one white everyday. Americanas aren't old enough to lay yet, and the bareed rocks are young yet too.

The other lives 1000 foot away, has 6 buffs, 2 barred rocks, three leghorns, a buff orpinton, and two tentra tints and a silver laced wyandotte. in an enclosed pen, and shed. She is getting three white eggs, one light brown, one purplish pink, and a medium brown with speckles. We al know where the white ones come from, the barred rock that I am sure is laying the light brown, and the speckeld I think is from a tetra, mine looks the same anyway, the purple one I have no clue?? Its pretty, but probably a tetra pr wyandotte egg.

Mine free range all day, and roost in an open barn at night, free range being a loose word, its fenced in to keep put preditors and neighbors [​IMG] There is no chance they are laying somewhere and I dont know. They get fed twice a day, and comets I raised from April (i know who they are they have washed out yellow legs ad their beaks aren't trimmed) are laying eggs. No one is eating those, so I assume the other buffs aren't eating thier own either.

We all noticed that our buffs sneeze with no other sgns of illness. No leakage out the nose, no buffiness, they all eat [​IMG](well) and are allowed freedoms they like.

I don;t get why they aren't laying. Could they have gotten something as peeps that make them unable to lay? Is there something else we can do- or just send them for processing??

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Do you have a picture of them? They may not be as old as you thought when you got them. Also, how much are you feeding them? I leave food out all day for mine and they take it when they want it.

3. phantomml

phantomml Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    I would have thought that they were being fed enough with a 14 pound feeder twice a day for the entire time we've had them was enough, there are 15 chickens for us in that pen, but the other two ladies are having the same problem. no eggs and unlimited feed. I will get a picture tomorrow, its dark here now and they are roosting. They get flustered if I go in at night- so I leave them be [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by