1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have decided to....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pdsavage, Jun 10, 2008.

1. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    instead of making a coop for the speckled sussex,i would make 2 more coops.

coop #1(allready built) for the 6 Barred rock hens.That means i will need a barred rock rooster for them.

coop #2 for the 5 speckled sussex (2 are roos) and 2 rhode island red hens.wich means i can get more speckled sussex hens.

coop #3 for my 1 silkie rooster and 2 easter eggers (one i belive is a roo)wich means i could get more silkie hens and EE hens.
    so what do you think sound good?

2. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Barred Rocks and RIR don't usually sit, not sure about EEs, so you'll need a good bator. You'll end up with mutts by breeding RIR to Sussex and EEs to Silkies too. So maybe you want to build five more coops and get some silkie hens and an EE rooster and a RIR rooster and....LOL

3. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Sounds like a plan. Just remember that is 3 water units to clean everyday and 3 feeders to fill [​IMG]

But I have sort of the same setup. My hens are in one run and side of the coop, new babies on the other side of the coop and have a run. Then my meat birds get moved to a large fenced in area to grow off till it is time to butcher.

It is nice to have extra runs and coops also when you need to clean something out you have a place to put your birds for a min while you clean.

Good Luck

Nick

4. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    I have barred rocks and I have several hens that will sit. So the best thing to do is not get the eggs for a couple days and see if a hen starts sitting. Then you can collect the eggs from the other houses and put them in her nest and she will hatch them for you. Just remember to mark your eggs so you know which eggs are which in the nest.

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    i have a bator just scared to use it.
    yes i know ill have some mutts but thats ok my 2 dogs are mutts.
    5 more huh o_O.im not that good of a builder....
    one coop will be inside well split from the main one wich is huge.the other one will be attached to the outside of the main one,all will be attached to the barn.
    now is hubby would let me use his empty shop (hasnt used it in like 5 years)wich is in the barn now i could build 2 more coops from that.
    but oh well ill use what i can and work with what i got...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by