I have done it- put all the eggs in my new incubator...

mommyofthreewithchicks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 25, 2010
Minnesota
I have read on here how to do it. Tried to find all the information I needed. Asked for the incubator for Christmas and DH decided to wait until our anniversary :>) Which was yesterday to give me the incubator. So instead of waiting I threw the eggs from this week in it and am hoping for the best!

I really wish he would have gotten the turner with the Brinsea incubator. But I guess I can deal.

How was everyone else's first time? Any tips for the newbie? What do you use for candling? I am planning on using a really bright flashlight.

Thanks for all the information...

Michelle

Congrats!... An L.E.D. flashlight works great for candling.
big_smile.png

Congrats on your first hatch, have fun with it. I use a Coleman Max LED flashlight that I bought at Walmart, it is extrememly bright and works very well for candling. Best of luck to you.

I was just rereading on how to turn- any tips :>) I have the big part of the eggs up. Fertility has been high on everyone I have cracked in the last two months so I am guessing that all of these will be fertile. I am also guessing that these will be mutts as I have 4 different kinds of roosters in the barn and have not locked anyone into their breeding pens yet. But I am excited for these mutts non-the-less.

Quote:
Yes I have a GOOD tip. Use a book, prop it under the front in the morning, take it out at noon, prop it up in the back at night. Three times a day is all that is needed.

Quote:
Yes I have a GOOD tip. Use a book, prop it under the front in the morning, take it out at noon, prop it up in the back at night. Three times a day is all that is needed.

Oh thank you
big_smile.png
I do believe that this is a GREAT plan!!!
wee.gif
And another reason my hubby will think I am crazy - (course anything with chickens/ducks right now he thinks I have gone over the deep end). I was dreading turning all those eggs by hand. ~ Off to find a book!
woot.gif

Quote:

Oh thank you
big_smile.png
I do believe that this is a GREAT plan!!!
wee.gif
And another reason my hubby will think I am crazy - (course anything with chickens/ducks right now he thinks I have gone over the deep end). I was dreading turning all those eggs by hand. ~ Off to find a book!
woot.gif

Yeah the term "turning" is misleading at best. All it really is is rocking the eggs back and forth and not really turning them at all. It is a motion that helps keep the chicks from sticking to the inside of the egg. All you need to do is move the entire bator back and forth three times a day. EASY!

Last January 6th my house burned down. I moved into a trailer in my driveway while house was being rebuilt. Of course the incubator and purchased eggs arrived a few days after house burnt down!

I had a friend hatch them at her house, as I could not keep temp steady in my trailer... it turned out OK. All subsequent attempts to hatch anything resulted in eggs pipping but chicks then dying immediately. Found out my chickens had gotten into some chemical that was in the goat food that caused that i guess....

This spring I REALLY want some eggs to hatch, so have tried to line up some local people who will rent me incubator space, have tried to buy some setting type hens, and will give the incubator one more try.

I wish you luck! It is not as easy as I thought it would be... I'm SO much more into a mother hen doing it!

Quote:
Oh my goodness you have had an experience!!! Hope that you have good luck finding people to rent space from!!! Were the adult chickens ok?

The book method is working and I am not doing too bad with looking at them too much. (helps that I have barely told the kids and they are in a corner of the house)

When do you candle? If I read correctly I can candle Sat night so we will see what is in there
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom