1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i have duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pinkado, May 10, 2011.

1. pinkado

pinkado Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    hello all, i am new here, so hellooooooo
    ok, so i got duck eggs, got given them when i bought 6 hens, bonus!!, so, i instantly went and bought an incubator, and put my 5 eggs in, and yay, they started up nicely, now, one, after 5 days had a large blood spot, so i discarded it, and after 12 days one had a prolapst membraine, and chick had died, discarded that, now im at day 25, i have misted and turned my eggs and let them cool as im ment to, soo, also, day 12 electricity went and eggs got cold, but seems i did right by grabbing incubator and putting them in my van and covering with a towel while the sun helped warm my guys, worked like a charm, soo, im on day 25 now, and my eggs are moving about, now please, dont give out, i did take an egg and check it, i was listening, and heard the chick break the membrain, squishy noise, and take a breath, this was all at 1 am last night, i hear scratching from 2 eggs, and peeping from one, soo, how long till they break the shell, its now 12 pm next day, and i have a driving lesson at 3 pm and i dont want to miss this, now, when i took out the egg, i made sure to warm mist the cover of my incubator, i dont have a wet bulb but got my water tray full of warm water, so misting the cover near the light i think helped keep the humidity up while i was a bad girl and listened to my babys peeping, so as i said, how long till i need to get worried,
    thanks all
    pinky

2. pinkado

May 10, 2011
    anyone?, please, advice on how long it takes for them to pip?,they been scratching since 1 am and now its 2 pm next day, i dont want my first ever go at hatching ducks to fail, i love em already and i even named them, do i help, by making a tiny crack in the shell, or leave it , please i really dont want them to die

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I know with chicks it can take up to 24 hours.

4. pinkado

May 10, 2011
    ok, well i just incase added warm spray mist to up the humidity and i hear two pipping and scratching, so, its been16 hours, so if nothing by 8 tonight, i will make a tiny hole in the two that are moving and then see how there doing, the lkast one, was jumping about, but has gone quiet all morning, i dont see him in the air pocket, but the other two have heads in the air pocket

question,if there heads are in the air pocket, should i help sooner?

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Can be up to 48 hours, humidity up to 70-75% for hatching. They can be very VERY slow depending on the breed.

6. pinkado

May 10, 2011
    mine are the caygue or something like that, there black and when light hits them they go green,, the darn humidity was low, i was very upset, i sprayed warm water on the cover and them gave the eggs a light mist, how do i get the humidity higher, quickly, its at 50 right now, im scared to wet the eggs to much as to are in the air sack and i dont want to drown them, its been 16 hours since the first pushed into the air sack, and the second is doing it now, i hear him pecking away, im not to worried about no movement in the third, as he was moving yesterday, silly egg went for a walk, was well funny to watch,
    so my question is, when do i help, when do i know they are ok or stuck

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Just saw your PM and responded, good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by