I have dying baby chicks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ProudNewChickenMommy86, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ProudNewChickenMommy86

ProudNewChickenMommy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    Ok, hi, I'm new here. My name is melissa "proud new chicken mommy 86" I started raising chickens about 8 or 9 months ago. My first 5 are still alive, happy, and spoiled. Very well mannered and so sweet. But, every time I get new baby chicks... They die. I can't figure out why. I'm doing the same thing I did with the first ones. Nothing at all different. They dont act different. they are separated until they get big enough to roam with the big chickens, so the big ones aren't killing them. My big ones are actually very motherly. can someone please point me in the right direction so I can try to put a stop to new babies dying? My poor heart can't take no more. [​IMG]

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:At what age are you having problems? What are they doing or not doing other than dying?

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    First, welcome to BYC. You might do well moving this post to the Emergency/Diseases section of the forum. When you go there, there will be a format at the top that will help you organize the information so that people can best help you.

I am sorry about your chicks.

4. ProudNewChickenMommy86

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    Well I got my last 3 two and a half weeks ago. And around now is when they die. I've lost a total of 6 babies now. They dont act any different, other than they start "falling out" and die a few minutes later. The last baby died last night. No warning.and I really wish I knew how to move the discussion, but I'm doing it from my phone. [​IMG]

5. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:I've asked the mods to move it for you.

6. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:How old are they when you get them? Are you putting them outside with adults at 2 1/2 weeks old?

7. ProudNewChickenMommy86

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    Thank you so much. You've been extremely help helpful.

8. ProudNewChickenMommy86

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    No I dont. I wait till they are at least 3 months old. And even then I supervise. And as far as how old they are I have no clue, but they aint no bigger than an x lg egg. My rooster has a bit of an attitude when it comes to newbies. But all he needs is for me to grab him and tell him no no and he's good. My first set of hen s normally stick up for newbies like they hatches them themselves. Super sweet austrolopes I have. Its just the last 6 I've had that's done this. And when I get babies I get attached fast. And now I'm kinda leaning toward getting no more cause I'm scared there gonna die too.

9. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    What are you feeding them? What is the temperature in their brooder? What bedding are you using? How many chicks do you have and in what size brooder? Does their poop look normal? How do they behave before they die? Do they act ill? For how long?

Trying to gather some more information.

10. ProudNewChickenMommy86

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    I dont know what a brooder is. I keep them inside.so around 76-78. Poo looks normal. I fed them chicken starter. Manna pro medicated. they act perfect, happy, chirping, eating, drinking, hopping around. All fine. The last chick though, might have had a different problem, her poo looked red clear white black. But she was acting perfect. I checked on her, went to go get her fresh water came back and her eyes wouldnt open, then she just kind of... Fell over. Is really weird. And I use dye free bedding. No chems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by