I have eggs from 02-16-2014 should I see movement in all of them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kerrie Ann, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I candled some of them from the 16th was not able to see movement but was able to see a dark spot and blood vessels. Does this mean I lost them if I do not see movement in some and movement in others?

2. fallbrookchicks

fallbrookchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    I would like to see movement at this date, but sometimes they don't cooperate. Before I gave up on them, I would make a mark of some kind on the egg and then recandle just those eggs in a couple of days. Unless there is a bad smell or oozing or evidence that an egg is far behind the others in growth, then I leave it in.

I have only done a couple of hatches, so there may be others out there that would have a different opinion.

1 person likes this.
  3. fallbrookchicks

Aug 11, 2013
    How is the hatch going? I am thinking you are probably in lockdown now waiting for hatch. What happened to the ones you were unsure of?

4. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I'm in lockdown right now actually. I have 2 eggs that are peeping. I had problems with my incubator fluctuating the temperature. I was very concerned about the other eggs I just candled them didn't see very much movement. Do you think I should be concerned? As far as the hatchback how far or how long does it take? Do I need to assist them at any point?

5. fallbrookchicks

Aug 11, 2013
    Resist helping! Chicks can upzip in less than an hour or take 8 hours.

I usually wait 48 hours past the 21st day before giving up. I am optimistic.

I can post more in a bit, running out the door!

6. fallbrookchicks

Aug 11, 2013
    Oh gosh, I just reread your post. Do not open the incubator during lockdown, even to remove chicks that have hatched! You lose moisture content that enables the chick to detach from the cell membrane. What percentage humidity are you at?

Are the chicks just peeping in the shell or have some of them pipped open?

You can PM me if you need to.

7. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    We have a baby chic.[​IMG]

:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by