I have fair weather chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tacswa3, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    Haven't left the coop since snow hit the ground 5 days ago and the cold snap moved in. I even completely covered their run before the snow, but the wind blew some snow in on the ground. They're aren't having any of it. They don't like the cold and wind also.

I read about other member's chickens out and about at 0*, but not mine. Who else is in this boat?

2. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    Well, I just tried something different. I went and threw down some straw and their curiosity started to get the best of them. They acted like they wanted to come out, so I threw down my home made mix of scratch (Cracked corn, meal worms and BOSS). Here they come now! I locked the coop up for a bit and will let them occupy themselves for a bit before I open the coop back up.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Mine have definite temperature and wind preferences. They'll go out when it's below zero, but not out into the wind. They'll go out in high winds if it's above zero. Snow doesn't bother them, nor does rain; but if they judge it too cold or too windy they're staying in!

They've been in for three days now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by