I have freeranging ringneck doves O_o

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Ducklove334, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    This is the story,

last fall I got a "pair" of ringneck doves at auction, after our 8 month old european starling died. they lived in his old cage up until about a week ago, we didn't want to sell them once we found out we were expecting a baby, so i got the idea to put them in my duck pen, wich has a mesh top. all was fine for about a week, then one dove got out, but hung around it's mate, for about 4 days I tryed to coux it back into the pen, nothing doing, then one morning I see BOTH doves sitting in the tree a few feet away O_O, i took thier food cup and hooked it to a tree branch,

well, it's been almost a week of them being lose, and guess what? they're still around, they sleep in a big pine tree across the field every night, and every morning around 9 or so, they're back to thier food cup for breakfast [​IMG] our nieghbor has also seen them at her house eating from her bird feeder! [​IMG]

they arn't people friendly and though they allow me to get rather close, if I reach for them they fly away, they've stayed out of reach from the cats, and seem to like teasing them on the thin branches of trees saying "haha I can sit here and you can't because you're FAT!"

anyways, I'm not sure of the sexes, but I think it's two females, but it may be a male and female, though they've never hatched babies, but they have set eggs.

what are the chances that they will breed with the local mourning doves?? [​IMG]

I don't feel like getting in trouble for unintentional hybrids [​IMG]

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I have no clue I am curious too [​IMG]

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I know there are wild ringnecks in florida .
    I also new a guy in Newyork who had a dove aviary and the wind blew it apart and the doves lived there for years . I dont htink they will mate with the morning doves . I had morning doves in with ringnecks and never got a hybrid

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by