1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have gone chicken crazy!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickchickchiky, Mar 28, 2012.

1. chickchickchiky

chickchickchiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I just purchased an incubator and bought some fertile eggs from a local breeder to hatch! I am getting some Black Copper Marans and pure bred Ameraucana's. I have been researching and learning as much as i can to get this right and i want the colorful eggs. I am picking up my eggs this Saturday and i should get the incubator before the end of the week. I purchased a Little Giant with the egg turner and candling light. I would love impute from those that do this alot any and all advise appreciated.

We have built a big coop with large enclosure for my flock i am awaiting chicks from a hatchery that were shipped today and should be here by the end of the week i also bought 6 meaty's from TSC that are thriving and growing fast and will be processed for us to eat. I did loose one of those so 5 left so i am starting with both live chicks and eggs crazy or what! I have had chickens as a child so this is all not completely new to me but it's been a while and this board is amazing with info. Now this will be my first time hatching anything so i am very excited about that anything i should be aware of?

2. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

You're in the right place [​IMG] Welcome to the chicken crazy club! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid [​IMG]
    It only gets worse... soon, you will start to think you need a back up incubator...
    Then, since you have two, might as well fill them both up..[​IMG]
    then, you will spend alot of time going from one incubator to the next...just checking..looking...
    then your family starts to think about an intervention...
    Welcome [​IMG]

4. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Then you start shopping for chicken diapers [​IMG]

5. pasunset

pasunset Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Berwick, PA
    LOL,
    I bought 7 peeps last year for my girls to raise and we ended up with 1 roo and 6 hens. This year we (the girls) decided we should try and hatch our own eggs. NOW, I have a incubator with 40 eggs in it and just on my lunch break ran to get another that I found on craigslist. It was a LG with fan and turner(only 1 yr old) and also another still air incubator and they threw in 2 feed dishes and 1 big top fill waterer and a candler for $75. My husband is going to kill me. We also started construction on a bigger coop to replace the smaller one we built new last year!

1 person likes this.
  6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

start looking for more acrerage and a bigger bator... trust me your gonna need them both
    [​IMG]

Jim

7. chickchickchiky

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You guys are too funny LOL. Well i have 40 acres so plenty of space for my insanity Hubby is on board too so i think i am ahead of the game! Thanks for the awesome welcome.

I have a question? What kind of Hygrometer should i get? I am starting with 12 eggs i purchased the incubator as a set for 80 bucks brand new on ebay it brings thermometer,candler, turner so i think i got a good deal on that just need a good hygrometer that can be calibrated from what i am reading.

8. chickchickchiky

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Already thought about that since i read that it's messy come hatching time lol

9. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    i have a Xicar bought it at a cigar shop. its about as big as the dial/face on a watch. it has a magnet on the back you can use to connect it to the inside of the bator, but i just have it sitting o an empty egg hole in the turner. it is digital and has temp on it too. you can calibrate it in 4 hours.

Works GREAT! love it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  10. chickchickchiky

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I will google and see if i can find online. Is it accurate? it seems those things are not very accurate and can mess things up in a hurry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by