I have had it!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 9farmgirl9, Jul 6, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Every nest my guineas hae been invaded and eatin. They have had a total of..............28 nests! And i only have 9 hens. I dont no what but it is probably a oppsum or a coon. Maybe a skunk.....but i hope not. Well what ever it is it has eating every nest. So since i wanted to hatch eggs and sell eggs----and every nest was disapearing i pinnedthem in the front yard with my chickens. And they made one nest right by the hen house then when a hen started setting they made another by th fence in a bush. Well i candled her eggs 2 days ago they were all fertile....but one baby died. So that made 16 eggs, Then this morning. I went out there and something had killed and ate 6 of the babies! [​IMG] [​IMG] and the were so close to hatching [​IMG]. I put them in the yard to prevent that. Both of the hens were fine though. So tonight i am goig to watch the nest. Idk what i'm going to do. Tell me what you think about this idea i have or if you have any suggestions.

My idea: When i close my chickens and guineas in at dark i will take the eggs with babies and put them in the bator----then put rotten eggs in the nest. Just in case. Then ill put a small fence around mama guinea. Then i have a bunch of pins i wil put a pin open with some eggs in it. I will watch from the front porch or kitchen window. Then when the animal goes in i will shut the door. And depending on the time go get my dad or wait till morning and shoot it. I hope its a oppsum. Raccoons are agressive. But a oppsum easy to handle. The pins are long enough that is can safetly shut the door they are about 9ft long.

2. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    sounds like you need a more secure coop/run... whatever is getting them has it easy.

3. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    They aren't getting in the coop or run? There is just a fence around my entire yard. There are 2 nests in the yard all the others were in feilds in bushes.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Incubator- collect and incubate-

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Even if you catch this predator there will be another to come along in its place. You have to have your animals in a secure pen or you will lose some.
    sharon

6. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Quote:I am terrible at incubating!

7. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    If the nests aren't in a secure, enclosed area, whatever it is will keep getting to them.

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:I am terrible at incubating!

Get a rabbit hutch and make them lay/set there?

9. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I was going to suggest a rabbit hutch too, otherwise you have just put out a buffet for whatever happens by. So sorry for your trouble.

10. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I only have one hutch and its got my peas and keets in it. And if i moved her she wouldn't set.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by