I have inherited a hen

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Southwind, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Southwind

Southwind Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I came home from work last night and found a turkey hen sitting in the grass in front of my door. Now, it has been a few years since I raised turkeys.

[​IMG]

This is what she looks like. She is about the size of an adult rooster. She cannot stand. She has one leg that has a curled claw. I have seen that before in chickens and it never ends well.
    So far she has eaten two nectarines, but nothing else. I am searching for a Vet who knows birds to take her to.
    Any thoughts? I am thinking she was brought to me, as she can't fly or walk.

2. Southwind

Apr 25, 2011
    She might be too old for this to work, but I am going to try putting a web shoe on her curled foot, with a hobble, and she is she improves any over the next few days.

3. Southwind

Apr 25, 2011
    Well, after a couple of days of good chow and uber vitamins, she is getting stronger. I had a makeshift cast on her leg, it is gone now. I had her in a sling, and she doesn't need support anymore either.
    She is definitely not wild. I think she is a Royal Palm.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Don't know what variety was `bequeathed' to you, but applaud your effort at `burnishing' said `legacy'.

Post up a shot when the patient is well enough to stand out in the sunlight,

Keep us updated on rehab, and continued good luck to you and your turk.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Someone just left a sick turkey on your doorstep? Instead of dealing with the problem themselves? Jeez. Some people shouldn't have animals/birds in the first place! Sounds like she's getting great care - is her curled toe any better now? Please post some pics when she's recovered.

6. Southwind

Apr 25, 2011
    Nope. I think she is too old for any rehab. What makes it worse, she is talking to me now. She coos at me when I come into the kitchen. Still eating like a horse, and does not seem to be in discomfort. I am working every day til next friday, so I won't have time to play around with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by