1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have just weeded my garden bed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Reinbeau, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Can I give them the grasses, roots attached, for them to ruffle around in and find goodies? They're eight weeks old this past Wednesday. I give them bolted lettuce and other garden greens, just thought this might be a nice treat for them.

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Yes, I do that every chance I get. 8 weeks they should be able to handle things like that. They will have loads of fun.

3. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

I do that all the time...so far so good....and my daughter is always finding weeds to feed them too. They love all of the clover and junk that grows in our grass.

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I gave them a whole pile, they had a blast!:

[​IMG]

I took the grasses out before I locked them up for the night. There's more where that came from!

5. AKBIRDMAN

AKBIRDMAN New Egg

Apr 21, 2008
    North Pole- Proper
    Right or wrong (no harm yet) i have been feeding my birds all the grass clippings from the lawn. I have 16 hens of assorted breed, 3 geese, 2 Turkeys, and an awesome Bantey Rooster. My wife calls him "Little man", and they come running when I pull up with the riding mower.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine get grass clippings, weeds, extra tomatoes, I tell everyone that when I go into the backyard, my chicks just come running now. Yup, I'm a chick magnet.

7. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    I used coopy poopy wood chips (mostly composted) in my veg garden and it grew most of what they are fed (loads of weeds). I figured they had to be about the best things for them to eat since the weeds were growing from spilled grain, so whenever I weed the garden I throw it all in the run. It's gone by the time I walk by again. Happy chickens

8. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    If I just toss the weeds into the coop, they'll eventually get around to rustling through them and eating some, but if I sit there and hold the weeds out for them, they all come running and gobble them up.

9. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    I've been pulling weeds daily for my flock and they always run to the fence when I bring them. They strip all the leaves off and there are only the tough stems left the next day. I rake these out once a week. I've noticed that they eat much less purchased feed and seem very healthy and happy. They spend their entire day out in the run chasing bugs and scratching through the weed pile.

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Very nice looking young flock you have there Reinbeau!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by