I have lost 10 of my Light Brahna's In less than 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trapper52, Oct 6, 2016.

1. trapper52

trapper52 New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    I have no clue why the are dying I raised 33 Black Jersey Giants & didn't loose not the first & we built every thing brand new for my Hen House & the out side pen is all brand new the ones i have lost just stopped eating & i would go to feed my birds & i found 2 dead ones & i lost 2 last week I am at my ropes end HELP I 'have spent over $750.00 & am feeding them a 20% laying pellets & the others that are ok eat alot of feed so i give them plenty yet they are still dying & i do not now i have put them on antibiotic .Oxytetracycline for the entire time they was to be treated with &+ i am giving them those Vitamins & Electrolytes 8 Oz .

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There is only one way to know. Get a necropsy done at a poultry lab. What state are you in?
    Losing 10 birds in short order, you are long overdue for that.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You did not include the ages of the birds that you lost. Are they all the same age? Are there other symptoms other than not eating? A common illness in young chickens or new ones is coccidiosis, which is treated with Corid (amprollium) powder 2 tsp in 1 gallon of water for 5 days. Chicken Canoe is correct about getting a necropsy. You can also get several fresh droppings checked by a local vet for cocci. Read a couple of these articles about coccidiosis:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/2/Coccidiosis Management/43/symptoms-and-diagnosis/
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, IMHO, that's a problem. You have chickens dying with no other symptoms but are treating with antibiotics without knowing which of the 20% of things that can kill chickens quickly with no symptoms and that antibiotics can help.
    If you do get a necropsy now, the prophylactic treatment with antibiotics will skew the results and it may be more difficult to determine what is killing the chickens.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    3 people like this.
  5. trapper52

trapper52 New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    I have stopped the Antibiotics & i am giving only the Vitamins & Electrolytes All Animal Class 8 Oz & it really hadn't made much good anyway but i am going to use up what i bought . Is it possible that they are just some bad blood that i ordered from that Hatchery .

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Possible but if they arrived healthy and then started dropping like flies, you have some problem in your flock. Could it be some sort of poison or fungus?
    You still haven't said how old they are and how long you've had them.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old are they? Laying feed, regardless of the protein content should only ever be fed to actively laying birds.

2 people like this.
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Everyone's asking the AGE of your birds. There was another thread about dying birds but they were feeding layer food to chicks. Chicks don't get layer pellets until at least 18wks or laying.

2 people like this.
  9. quackersandfern

quackersandfern New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    West Palm Beach, FL
  10. Kristen5894

Kristen5894 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Wildomar
    Whatever killed your flock, I am very sorry. I had a Light Brahma hen that I had for about 4 years and loved her. My entire flock, except one has died and I just sent one of my roosters to get a necropsy. I wish I had done it sooner. I haven't gotten any results, but I feel like this is a step in the right direction.

Please don't wait like I did. Send one or more to get a necropsy. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by