1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have Lost 11 Of My Welsummers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crossbowhunter5, Dec 17, 2014.

1. crossbowhunter5

crossbowhunter5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Saltville Va
    I ordered 27 Welsummers 25 pullets & 2 roosters & they are dying off rather quickly & i pick up one of them & they have no weight to them at all & we have 7 Road Island pullets with the Welsummers & they are doing great they are getting very heavy & i am feeding tham the Dumar 24% started & grower feed can ya help me sir

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How old are they? Coccidiosis is always a major concern with chicks, especially when one starts seeing multiple fast deaths. Something that at least needs to be ruled out.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If they are just days old, they could be dying from shipping stress. How old are they, and how are they being kept (temperature, brooder?) What symptoms are you seeing? If there are different age chickens, I would suspect coccidiosis. I would get some Corid (amprollium) from the cattle section of your feed store, and start them on it. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water--give it for 5-7 days, changing it each day. Symptoms of cocci are lethargy, weakness, not eating, then later not drinking, diarrhea (may have blood,) and puffing up.

4. crossbowhunter5

Aug 26, 2014
    Saltville Va
    My Welsummers are just turning 4 month old

5. crossbowhunter5

Aug 26, 2014
    Saltville Va
    GOOD NEWS My Welsummers are doing much better today believe or not we changed the feed we had them on & now they are acting like chickens should & i haven't had any more to die either I am praying that i won't loose anymore of them Thanks all of you folks for the help

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Glad to hear they are better. Good luck.

7. crossbowhunter5

Aug 26, 2014
    Saltville Va
    Thanks you they are a very beautiful breed of bird & they lay a VERY Dark Brown speckled we haven't never had any of these before I did loose both of the Roosters so i may have to order another couple of Roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by