I have lost 13 birds in 3 nights!**UPDATE** POST #1

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Southern Chickens, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    [​IMG] I only have 4 left! [​IMG] It is a fox, I think. (NOT A FOX) I won't bother the ones near the house under the light. (IT KNOWS I AM WATCHING THEM) I am thankful that one of the ones left is sitting on a cluch of eggs from the flock that was killed. She is only on day 3, so I placed two eggs that I found in the massacre under her. [​IMG] I am so very sad and none of my co-workers or friends understand. DH is tring to be supportive, but he doesn't get it. One managed to hang on all day yesterday, she died last night at 8:15pm. She was my favorite and I am just crushed! [​IMG]

***UPDATE***
    IT WAS MY OWN DOG!!! I AM SUCH A DORK, I HAD HER WITH ME ON MY HUNTS FOR THE "CHICKEN KILLER!" [​IMG] SHE WAS GOING TO HELP ME!! WHAT A JOKE! I AM SO CRUSHED! SHE HAS BEEN HERE, SINCE SHE WAS A PUPPY AND NEVER EVEN BOTHERED THEM! SHE IS GROUNDED TO HER KENNEL FOR 3 WEEKS! I CAN'T UNDERSTAND "WHY SHE DID IT"? OUR OTHER DOG WAS PUT TO SLEEP ABOUT A MONTH AGO, ALL I CAN THINK IS SHE IS ACTING OUT, BECAUSE OF THAT. I KNOW IT WAS HER, BECAUSE OF THE STOOL SAMPLES THAT ARE FULL OF FEATHERS!
    THE NEW COOP IS BEING BUILT, SHE IS NO LONGER ALLOWED OUT AT NIGHT! PLUS THERE WILL BE ELECTRIC FENCE PUT UP AROUND THE NEW COOP, AND THE GIRLS WILL GO UP EVERY NIGHT! I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE DEATH! NOT FOR ALONG TIME!

R.I.P. My Sweethearts!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    It won't bother the ones near the house under the light.

Does this mean they're out after dark?​

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I am so sorry. I, too lost chickens this last week, 9 of them, 5 of my favorites. People don't understand as "they were just chickens." I have cried for days! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. anngili

anngili Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry!! [​IMG]
    take good care of yourself and those that are left. I'm so glad that you were able to find the eggs so that some of them will live on in future babies as well as I in your heart! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Southern Chickens

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    Quote:Does this mean they're out after dark?

They were in a cage with a run, they don't get "put up" at night. I live in Florida and nights are hot too!! I am building a new, better cage and they will be put up at night. I will have solar powered lights to keep predators at bay.
    The ones that are left, I put in a small tractor near the house. So that my porch light would be on them. Nothing bothered them last night. My broody hen is in an elevated cage, so that is what kept her safe. It just pushed it's way through the gate. It swings out, but it was pushed in! I can't find any tracks for the life of me. I am camping out this weekend to find the booger!! Our boat is nearby, so I will be on the boat, with the gun ready.

6. Southern Chickens

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    Quote:Thank you so much for your thoughts. I am very glad to have some left. It just broke my heart that Blondie didn't make it. I took off work yesterday and nursed her all day, just to loose her at night. [​IMG] I just knew that y'all would understand.

7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I am so sorry!!! How devastating to loose so many of your chickens. I hope the new setup for the chickens will keep whatever predators you have out. Hope your broody hatches all of those hicks without problems.

8. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Lights will NOT deter predators, especially racoons and possums. I have a big light on a pole by my chicken pen and a motion light by my front door and it just made it easier for racoons and possums to find my chickens when they used to roost in a big tree. My cat was also killed under my porch light by a racoon. [​IMG]

ALL my chickens since have been locked up every night in their chicken houses. You have to put chickens up at night for them to be safe.

Also, chicken wire is useless against predators and a racoon will easily climb an elevated cage and open most doors. They are very smart.

Am glad you will be waiting up for the culprit. That is a good way to get rid of it for sure.

So sorry about your chickens. They were really beautiful birds.

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    So sorry about your pretties!!! How hot is it at night? If you have some air movement, could you lock them up? I would hate to see you lose the rest of them!

10. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Really no need to beat a person up over these things.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by