I have lost 2 white plymoth rocks in the past 2 months please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maymel, Feb 13, 2014.

1. maymel

maymel New Egg

Feb 13, 2014
    I have lost my only two Plymouth rock hens. First one: I had went out to feed my chickens and they were all just fine, but when my daughter went to check for eggs after school she found her dead. When I went and looked she was laying on her stomach, she had no feathers around her vent which began when she was 2 moths old, around her vent was very red, and bloody. She had laid an egg earlier that morning. Second one: She was fine yesterday and this morning, but when my daughter came home she told me she was in the coop and bleeding, so I went and checked on her. She also had no feathers around her vent, very red, looked like her guts were coming out, and very bloody. She also began to loose her feathers around her vent the same time. I am worried that they are contagious. I have one Rhode Island red, one Black Australorp, one Speckled Sussex, two Dutch Bantams, one Seabright Bantam hens and two Cochin Bantams. What is this and what can I do.

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Sounds like the other hens were pecking around their vents, which they sometimes do. Are they in a pen? They could be overcrowded which might cause the pecking. Sounds like the second one was prolapsed. I doubt they are contagious, but there is definitely something going on. My guess would be that overcrowding, and maybe stress, are contributors.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I think you may have a serious problem with feather picking. It is possible that one may have suffered a prolapsed vent, and was attacked because of the red tissue sticking out, but someone is cannibalizing your hens. I would spend some time in the coop watching behavior, and take out whoever is doing this. Feather picking happens when chickens are over crowded, not getting enough protein in the diet, or are bored. Put your chickens on 20% all flock or flock raiser food with crushed oyster shell on the side. Give them plenty of room, or free range them, and make sure there are some interesting things to do in the coop.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. maymel

maymel New Egg

Feb 13, 2014
    I thought that might have been it. I have seen my Rhode Island red pecking on the two bigger girls before. I was hoping that was not it since I have hatched 9 new Bantams and have more on the way. I normally let them out during the day but the weather has not been so good. I will just have to expand their playground (pin) I built on to their house and since the weather has gotten better let them out more often. Thank you so much for your info it was very helpful.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hatchery Rhode Island Reds are really production reds, and can be aggressive. Since she has killed 2 birds I would cull her, or you may end up with more dead birds. This can become a habit and she will teach the others. I have old fashioned dark brown RIR, and they are not at all aggressive.

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I would try the bigger pen first, before you cull, or better still, free range if you can. And just watch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by