I have lost my mind

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyWarrior, Sep 19, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I just bought turkey eggs. [​IMG]

What in the heck am I doing? I have 9 eggs in the bator already and 12 more coming to me from a friend.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Thanksgiving 2011?

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I think I have the same problem !

I have my 20 egg incubator running with one very dubious NN egg , the sole ?survivor from 6 shipped eggs. Should I copy you, SkyWarrior, and get more eggs? (even turkey eggs for Xmas 2011....I'm from Wales AND vegetarian))

Is there any cure?

My problem is I love to hatch chicks...whether under a broody or in the incubator.I love the adults, too. I then spend half my life eating eggs disguised in thousands of different ways and trying to get rid of excess boys!

PLEASE someone, tell us what treatment works.

Sandie

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

*blinking*

Turkey eggs. I feel your... panic. [​IMG] Sounds like you are about as able to resist the auctions as am I. The non-chicken poultry calling to ME are ducks. However, there are plenty of other chicken breeds that I want FIRST. LUCKILY, I keep Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Breed Chart book-marked so I can check to see if there are attributes I don't think I want to tackle. (A particular, gorgeous game breed is not a possibility because the roosters MUST be kept separate from other birds, as they are killers. Well, I haven't been able to divest myself of my extra roos, and I don't think that's gonna change. Darn! for a couple reasons.)

And I really don't want any kind of ducks but Cayugas, so I really could just incubate Thelma's eggs. That's a Spring project.

Somebody - *looking askance at Sky again* - outbid me on the Barnvelder eggs, so I had to find another offering.

BLUE GIANT COCHINS!

I almost bid on some frizzles, but the seller indicated some of the mixes included Silkies and Polish, both of which are non-chickens in my book. (Please, no flames.) I like the hefty CHICKEN-Y chickens. Bantams are cool because they're just midget chickens in proportion.

Somebody reallly needs to shut off eBay. NOW.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  5. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Sandie the only treatment that works is to get more NN eggs for that 'bator!!!

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well NNbreeder....that seems like a sensible solution. (And how old is the NN in your avatar?)

Sky Warrior....what sort of turkeys?

Sandie

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  7. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I can only say, welcome to the madness.

You will love turkeys.

They do go through a lot of feed though. [​IMG]

8. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Turkeys are very cool ! What breed did you buy?

9. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Yeah... what kind of turkeys? I've been thinking of gettting some bourbons or broad breasted bronze. DH likes the Eastern wild type of turkeys. Still deciding...

10. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I did NOT bid on the Barnevelder eggs. [​IMG] I was too entranced with the turkey eggs to bid on them.[​IMG]

Sorry you didn't get them, but I sort of gave up the barnevelder idea this year when I found out my friend would sell me 12 FBCM eggs for $4. And yeah, ebay is dangerous. I'm thinking of blocking it on my computer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by