:( I have lost my whole flock of silkies to a dumb coon!

Fancie

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Illinois
hit.gif
All my silkies are gone! The coon was apperantly stalking my house everynight, and if I would forget to lock up the coop he would snatch a bird or two. While we where working on the shed/coop, he would steal the chicken feed and once we finshed and the food was no longer assasable to him he got desprate, trying to tear apart the wood of the shed and tried pulling a couple birds threw the fence of the old coop... One died, the other (a pigeon) needed a few days to recover. it was horrible... We caught the coon.... And called DNR to see what to do, they said If they came they would have to let it go right back in my yard, and I can't do anything about it till season opens... And when it does I tell you.... there won't be no more coons in my yard!! But all that work has to be restarted... All the money I had invested!
he.gif

Last edited:
OH MAN! I hate raccoons
somad.gif

I wish I could help you out repopulating! I just put in like 14 Silky/Showgirls in the bator that should hatch by Halloween. I wish I could give you some...
hugs.gif

Did I misunderstand this ??? Coon ate your little Silkies...U trapped it and then after speaking to whomever....LET IT GO ???????????
VERY COLD DAY IN HELL !!!!!!!! I'D HAVE BEEN OUT THERE WITH A BASEBALL BAT, BIG PAIL OF H2O OR WHATEVER.... GASOLINE AND BLOW TORCH...BUT NOT LOOSE TO KILL MORE !!
Sorry...unreal !
EVERY DAY WOULD BE COON SEASON IN MY YARD !!!
I hope I understood this correctly and didn't get upset for nothing.
Liz
Rochester, MA

You have a season for coons? Never heard of that. At my house, season for any animal trying to kill my stock is OPEN. I'm waiting to hear back from the wildlife dept. now to find out specifics about winged predators. I do believe you can get a special permit for them too. Good Luck

I would kill anything that got after my Silkies. A dog, a coon, a bird, a possum (have recently blown one out of a pine tree), a ANYTHING. And I'd do the same if anything got after my big old floppy Brahmas or my EE's too. How is anyone going to know that you took a bat and bashed a coon's head in, or blew a possum out of a tree at 1:00 in the morning, or shot a bird out of the air for stalking your birds? I will protect my flock...any time I have off I stand in the run with my green-tipped hardwood stick, like a shepherd, just daring something to come near my birds. Haven't lost one yet - everything is scared of me because I can scream and holler really loud and wave my stick around like a mad thing. Only the hawks aren't scared of me, but they ARE scared of dangling CD's, so I got that one licked too.

I would double check the "coon season" thing. Most places allow them to be shot whenever on your own property. I doubt that they are protected anywhere since they are a pest and numerous.

P.S. I forgot my son's birthday once. I forgot to take my yard crocs off and came to work in them. I forget to say my prayers sometimes. I left a bag of groceries (cold stuff) outside in my hot car once for several hours. I forget to return phone calls. I forgot to go up to admin and sign my time sheet a few times and the secretary had to call me. But I never have forgotten to secure my birds as soon as the sun is dipping below the horizon. Set your alarm clock or your stove timer to go off right as dusk is approaching and go secure them. Your birds depend on you for everything...food, water, special treats, protection, even conversation if they are used to it. Makes me want to cry thinking about what those little Silkies went through.
hit.gif
You just can't forget any more.

Back
Top Bottom