I have lost two hens in two weeks...not sure why???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 15chxinTX, Jul 20, 2010.

1. 15chxinTX

15chxinTX Out Of The Brooder

Hi, We have (or used to have 19) hens. EEs, Golden, Buff Orpingtons, Cuckoo Morans. I have lost one Buff and today lost one EE. The Buff started by standing by the waterer with her eyes closed. At first she would go back to grazing but eventually she wouldn't and died the next day. She was 15 months old. Our EE was over two years old. I just found her the afternoon when she didn't come for scratch. She had died earlier in the day. No symptoms. Of course she had ants on her, but figured that was normal when she couldn't fight anymore...They free range all day. Just wondering if i should do something for the whole flock? I spread DE around and under the coop, but really don't have any idea what may have happened. Definately open to ideas. Thanks, I appreciate it very much.

2. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Are your birds skinny? Are the rest showing any other symptoms?

3. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I am guessing you are in Texas?? heat is wreaking havoc on chickens all over the place. try setting up a cool place - maybe a fan outside or water misters? I wet down my run (to almost mud) everyday and have a rubbermaid lid filled with water for a "wading pool"... also access to shade and cool grass to lay in.

Sorry for your losses... hope you figure it out soon.

4. 15chxinTX

15chxinTX Out Of The Brooder

I am in Middle West Texas. Highs have been in the mid to upper 90s with high humidities. Will a wading pool work for a cool spot? They do have shady spots around the house , under the coop etc but maybe i need to get a fan maybe in the coop at night. The rest of the girls aren't showing any symptoms and are not skinny so maybe it was heat related. Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by