I have lots and lots of babies....{{{pics now}}}

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, May 28, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Well, after a long night and day, I have ended up with 24 babies out of 28 eggs. There are 3 white leghorn and one EE egg left in the bator,unpipped,no action. I candled them...no movement, and none had moved up to their air sac. [​IMG]
    That just breaks my heart. I'm leaving them in the bator over night though. But, on a better note,I have 24 babies.Although one is still in the bator. "She" had pipped at the pointy end of the egg and couldn't go any further. I had to assist then, but not before making sure that all that was going to hatch hatched. I broke away just the shell part...kept the membrane moist and gentley tore the membrane(without hitting a main vein) until there was an opening enough to fit the baby through. Then I could see that she was still attached to her cord and to the membrane. I put her in the bator and left her. "She" detached herself from it and is drying off and moving around. I am leaving her there for a bit longer to make sure she's alright. I will have pics tomorrow. I'm exhausted lol
    This is only my second hatch.....I only wish it was a 100% hatch rate....I feel so bad for the 4 that didn't make it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Your hatch rate sounds good to me.

3. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Wow! I'm so excited for you....I hope my hatch goes as well as yours! Congratulations on the chickies.....looking forward to pictures!

4. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    WOW still a good achevement seen as it's your second hatch,

Mine are hatching now, only two out of a dozen [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Congrats!! What day are you on?? We are on day 23 and had no movement in the last 3 eggs we have in the bator. Tonight, one of those eggs just pipped. You may want to keep the remaining eggs in the bator for a few more days...you just never know [​IMG]

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:ITA 100%... some of mine seem to be running late. Maybe it was due to opening the bator a few times. You never know.

7. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I'm on day 22 now...well,techically 23 for a couple of hours. I'm leaving them in the bator....but I'm afraid they won't hatch. I hope they do...their air sacs look good, although I didn't notice any veining anymore. Well I hope I have your luck and the 4 remaining eggs hatch. [​IMG]

Good luck to you!

8. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Thanks and good luck with your hatch!

9. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Congrats on the new babies. Can't wait to see pics.

10. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Thanks and I'm uploading the pics to photobucket as I type this. They'll be here soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by