I have mastered homemade feeders!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggsForIHOP, Jul 5, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    And I just keep making more!This addicting! I keep finding 'trash' at work to bring home and turn into chicken treasures! empty butter tubs, 5 gallon buckets from the pickles...if anyone watches the cameras they probably think I am stealing food, but it's all empty stuff saved from the trash pile!

Now...if only I could get the gallon syrup jugs to turn into the perfect waters....I did it with a 5 gallon bucket, but I want something easier for me to lift!

Have I totally lost it? How does one get the perfect hole for a gallon sized waterer? Mine either overflows or barely flows! What is the trick?!?!?

2. GratefulGreens

GratefulGreens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    LOL! You sound like me - I reuse EVERYTHING! Got any pics of what you've made?

3. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Have you tried using toilet tank cut off stuff? I heard that works pretty well. Might not work on something as small as 1 gallon syrup bottles.

4. theflynns

theflynns New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    Mancelona, MI
    Please shore how you have done it! I am going to have chickens soon and I would rather make their feeder and waterer than buy one.

5. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I made a feeder for my little brooder out of a recycled cooking oil bottle, like what you get from the grocery store. Looks pretty mid-evil, but works great.

6. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Stay Tuned! I JUST got home from work, a trip to the feed store, a trip to the PEOPLE feed store, and then feeding everyone here. SO I am off to bed! BUT I will take pics later and post some! All the directions is stuff I basically used from here. But I will post pics after a nap today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by