I have more chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddler6, Mar 19, 2008.

1. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    When I left for work I had one little baby bantam cochin, when I got home from work, my wife said, you have two now, I go to the basement to check them out and there were 4 bantam cochins hatched. I have 4 more cochin eggs, and 4 more leghorn eggs (that I got from my swap partner from February's swap). They are chirping up a storm in the bator, but they aren't completely dry yet so I can't move them to the brooder yet, hopefully tomorrow. Hopefully I will have more to brag about soon. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Woohoo!! congrats Muddler. good luck on the rest of your hatch. I feel your "pain" I was in your shoes just 2 days ago waiting for mine to hatch out. Tony

3. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    don't forget the pics!
    [​IMG]

4. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Wow, that is so exciting. And by the way, my little white chick, is a frizzle, yippee!!!!

Keep us posted and post some pics.

marie

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    How can you tell so soon if the are frizzles? I am brand new to frizzles, but have some eggs in thebator with frizzle rooxmixed and frizzle hen cross.
    Congrats on the hatch-and good luck on the rest!

6. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, the little white ones feathers on the wings are coming in curled and not straight like the others. It is the only one I can tell so far. But he has a white reg. roo and white frizzled hen. So it was pretty likely that if white it would be frizzled I guess? The others seem to be regular feathers as far as I can tell but they are only 6 days old. Will keep you posted and cant wait for pics Bob.

Marie

7. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    One of my swap eggs hatched, BUT there is a bloody gob of goo hanging from it, so I am not sure that one will make it. once they all hatch I will put some pictures on here with the survivors, hopefully all of the make it, but I am a little worried about that one. [​IMG]

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    come on goo gob chick-we're rootin' for you!

9. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I am sad to say that one did not make it, when I removed it from the bator it's insides were outside. I have a pip from one of my other swap eggs (Rose comb brown leghorns) and cochin #5 is working it's way out of the shell right now.
    My bator is a mess from the one that died, hopefully the rest of the chicks make it out o.k. keep the good vibes coming!!!

10. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Today is Day 22, I have had some temperature issues the last couple days. Up to that point I have 5 Bantam Cochins and 2 rose comb brown leghorns hatch (little chipmunk looking critters), I don't want to give up on the reamining 4 eggs too soon, should I candle and see if there is movement, or just call it done?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by