I have my First Broody!! yay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jnjross, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    well i hatched these chicken bator-style, and decided it was too nerve racking for me, so all future fluffy butts will hatch old school'.
    and now my dom hen (black orpington) has decided to sit. I hope she's really commited to this and not teasing [​IMG]

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    good luck and happy hatching [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    From sad experience, keep her separated from the rest of the flock. Don't let others get into her nest.

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    good luck! broodies rock! if i never use an incubator in my life, i can live with that.

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    have you tried moving here isnce her broody start to see how she will react they are funny lol

6. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    no she took up her cause yesterday , but i took her eggs [​IMG] i thought she was being a nest hog. so last night she was still there, i check today still there so i had dh look tonight, asleep on the nest , i conflicted i have not seperated for breeding yet! those will be some ugly black/blue/buff/splash opingtons . i need to remove big daddy-buff so actrite-splash can do the work.

7. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    well let us know i suggest not hatching out any eggs for atleast 2 weeks to make sure your good roo is the one who does the deed as the sperm from the other roo can be kept inside for for 2 weeks

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I let two turkens set eggs in the main nest together (a 50-gallon drum full of straw). They were left alone fairly well, except that the other girls wanted in to lay eggs and occasionally did so. When the babies hatched, the mamas introduced them to the flock and all was well. There were no problems at all.

It is not always necessary to separate a broody. I might have if I'd known any better, but I didn't and all was well.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Check out my BYC page There are plenty of pics of my RIR's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by