I have my first Button Quail Egg ...Now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pumpkan, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Pumpkan

Pumpkan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples,FL
    [​IMG]Ok So i just went outside to let my son blow bubbles nad to my surprise there it was an egg!! OK so I made a Hay nest for them and put clean bedding on the bottom and placed the egg in there it looks like they are interested in it from time to time but no sitting on it???? How long is it good for if they don't sit on it? I have another pair that hasn't laid eggs yet but it looks like they are nesting do I give it to them and see if they will sit on it if the other don't how much time do i have? How long can they egg sit out for before you put it in an incubator if you choose too??? VERY NEW AT THIS , and very excited!!! Please only experienced answers no guessing I do not want this little egg to be wasted!

2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Well if it hasnt been "sat on" yet, it should be okay at room temp for a few hours. thats my guess.... I have wanted button quail since i was like 8. Maybe i should get some...are they friendly or good pets? just wondering :)

3. Pumpkan

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples,FL
    If they are wild no I wouldnt say they are manageable but if you hand raise them I know some people who let theirs run around the house and they follow her it all depends on what your looking for in a pet and where and how they were raised!!

4. Pumpkan

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples,FL
    Now I have two eggs ......

5. Pumpkan

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples,FL
    Now 3

6. jebar77

jebar77 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    SE Mass
    can you incubate quail eggs?

7. Pumpkan

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples,FL
    Are you asking in general or me specifically LOL Yes to you can incubate Button Eggs, and Yes I can incubate the button eggs but I would rather the birds do it I do not have the facilities or supplies to keep them after they hatch!! So If Mom and Dad buttons can hatch them take care of them that would be fantastic!!! But I'm not sure what they are going to do I have to see if they have more eggs! I tried candling one of the eggs but it was so dark colored I couldn't see anything!!

8. jebar77

jebar77 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    SE Mass
    lol sorry i didn't mean you, i meant in general..... i guess you can incubate any fertile egg assuming you have an incubator big enough to hold the eggs...lol

good luck.

9. SilkieCrazy123

SilkieCrazy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Antelope, CA America
    I thought quail dont like to brood?

10. Pumpkan

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples,FL
    I know some people who have some that do and people who have some that don't i think its all how they were raised!! That's why I am trying to get my to sit on their own eggs but I can't force them too....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by