1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have my first hatch due today...PHOTOS ADDED PAGE 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pesties, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pesties

pesties Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Well, actually second hatch but the first one resulted in only two fertile eggs out of 22 and only one hatched, then died. [​IMG] I am new to this, [​IMG] and only found this forum about 5 days ago - but read up on all the moisture loss posts and humidity etc.

So today is day 21 - I have four eggs, I delayed lockdown as they had not lost enough moisture (air sack was too small). This seemed to work - and the air sacks looked good last night (day 20) and I could see a beak in the air sack and heard a peep, [​IMG] so I increased humidity and have not opened again since.

This morning when I got up - three of the four have cracks in them, but they haven't yet made an opening - is this sounding ok? The cracks are in one spot but they haven't pushed the piece of shell off. All three that have cracks are identical. How long til I can expect them to hatch?

I will be devastated if I don't get any chicks again [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    yes they will Pip and zip. Pip is when they peck a hole. Zip is when the peck in a line around the egg and pop out. They can take up to 24 hours to hatch after first pip. Also keep humidity at 65~70% and dont open bator to keep mositure

whoops i forgot [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:pesties... [​IMG]

I had some of mine that were due today hatch yesterday and today..I only had 5 in lock down. Sure took a long time for those that were pipped yesterday to hatch. I had one pip early yesterday, was out by the afternoon, you just never know. Cracks are a good thing, just as good as a little round looking pip. Pips come in all different shapes and sizes...sounds like you are going to have some babies chirping soon! Then running around on their bellies, then finally up on their feet...fun! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  4. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    YIPPEE! just be patient! [​IMG]

5. pesties

Oct 20, 2011
    thanks guys - I feel a bit better now. Was expecting them to actually make a hole, but good to know that the cracks are normal. I feel like a nervous mess [​IMG]

6. Harpo

Harpo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    You've been attentive and done all the right things [​IMG]

I'm sure you'll be rewared with beautiful fluffy butts!!!

Please keeps us updated [​IMG]

7. pesties

Oct 20, 2011
    The only progress to report so far is the fourth egg now has also pipped a small hole... hoping for some chicks soon!!

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Another pip? That's great! Trust me, soon now...no more cracks on the others? You must be keeping the humidity up to be getting another pip, so, the waiting part... [​IMG]

9. pesties

Oct 20, 2011
    yes I am behaving myself and not opening the lid [​IMG]

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I hope you will wake up to fluffy butts!! That is if you can sleep !

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by