I have my sweet peepers!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shreenith, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Shreenith

Shreenith Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    Southern California
    I got my babies last night. I am such a nervous chicken-mama--I woke up every two hours and had to check on them. Eeee! I can't bear to think about the fact that some of them might now be ladies. :( The breeder I got them from said most places can only guarantee 80-90% sexing accuracy. How many of you have had to part with your dear chickies 'cause they turned out to be boys?

I'd post pictures, but it won't let me. :( I have three Ameraucanas, a Sussex, and a Cochin. I'm not sure what variety they are, though. :/

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    so i'm guessing you got them straight run? normally if you order from a hatchery they can guarantee to about 90 - 95%. but getting them from a breeder is probably better than hatchery stock (not that hatchery babies are "bad"). i have hatched my own in the past (from ordering fertile hatching eggs) and i just gave the roosters away. if i lived in the country i would let them grow and then eat the extras. but i can't have them around long enough for them to crow where i live now. i think you'll love the breeds you have! i have a speckled sussex and she lays a jumbo egg almost every day and shes a very big girl! and the ameraucanas (probably Easter Eggers you have there) are always fun! the ones i've had have always layed big eggs too. i've never had a cochin, but i hear they're very very sweet (but can go broody and arn't the best layers). but i have a pet chicken (a Silver Cuckoo Marans) who is a horrible layer and shes got a free ride and gets to live till she dies of old age simply cuz she's nuts about me! she's a great pet!! how many babies do you have? and how many of each breed? i bet theyre sweet!! if you want them for pets, handle them often and they will love you!

3. Shreenith

Shreenith Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    Southern California
    I've got five total. :) I'm pretty sure he (the breeder) sexes them himself--so they're slightly more accurate than straight-run. Not positive, though. As far as I can tell, I have Ameraucanas, not Easter Eggers (but "as far as I can tell" isn't very far). They have the characteristics I found on the breed webpage and he *said* they were purebred. *shrug* It's not a big deal to me. :)

They seem to have different moods about being held. Sometimes they like to be picked up and held and even fall asleep in my hands. Other times, they just want to jump out (or into the air) and sit on top of the food dish. Lol. One of them sticks out her funny little half-formed wings and wiggles until you let her go!

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    aww, how sweet! that's pretty neat that he sexes them! i wish i knew how. yeah, it wouldn't matter to me either about Americanas v. EE. but maybe you'll get some nice blue eggs? all the EE i've ever had have laid the sage green eggs (which are pretty, but a little variety here girls? lol) although i do have an EE now that lays the sage green and sometimes she flecks it with light brown spots! so i think that's pretty cool. and yeah, they will act skittish and crazy sometimes as chicks, but it really does help to handle them alot if you want them cuddly later. i'm getting some from my TSC this year (4 meaties....2 for us, 2 for a friend, 2 BSL, and 2 RIR). i wanted to try a leghorn, but i was afraid she would fly over my 6ft fence. have fun with your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by