I have my very first broody hen!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by realtreegirl, Aug 27, 2014.

1. realtreegirl

realtreegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    My black cochin I in March is sitting on her first set of eggs :) Not the greatest time of year but I am still excited!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    That's exciting! Hope it goes well!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Good luck with your broody! I hope she hatches out some nice chicks for you.

4. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Good luck to you!

I have a Broody sitting on 11 eggs at the moment, and they are due to hatch on Sept 8th.

It's Winter here (in Australia) so not ideal conditions either, but who am I to tell her that?

She seems happy, so that's the main thing. I'm sure your girl will do great! You can only let her try [​IMG]

- Krista

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Broody hens are prized here at our farm! No incubator could possibly compare!
    I just had a hen hatch out 6 chicks, I have another broody that just started sitting yesterday (she has a dozen eggs), 4 chicks in the brooder from my last incubator hatch and eggs hatching in my bator as I type this (maybe I have a smidge of a hatching addiction :oops: ). The broodies always have a better hatch rate than I do. I let mine sit no matter what time of year it is, they take care of the chicks whether its blazing hot or there's snow on the ground ;)
    Good luck!

6. realtreegirl

realtreegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks guys :) I can't wait...it sure does beat me doing all the work lol I am enjoying not having to monitor temp and humidity! I love to hatch but I did 3 batches this spring and needed a break was gonna wait till spring but oh I have missed the little chicks so I am excited only 2 weeks to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by