I have never seen this scary growing tumor like thing under hen's bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buffybok, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Buffybok

Buffybok New Egg

May 19, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    [​IMG]It's been noticable for half a year. She is a pearl white leghorn, lays jumbo white eggs. She stops lay egg for 2 weeks, while behavier is normal. She is the boss in the flocks, still chasing others. I'm really worried, the tumor is getting big like a balloon. Did anyone see this before?

2. Unfortunately yes.

It likely is an ovarian cyst. I forget what it is called. It occurs in about 3% of hens. It is common. They can live with it for years. It does not go away and will cause death eventually. Several people heard have cut and drained it only for it to recur. They can look normal and even lay for a good long time with those.

Wish ya the best.

3. Welcome to BYC. Sorry for the bad report.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have a couple like that right now and I think it can also be a sign of fatty liver disease. Also had a rooster with it and when I sliced it open his liver fell out, so it's not necessarily a tumor, but it will probably be that cause of their death.

-Kathy

5. Buffybok

Buffybok New Egg

May 19, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for your reply. Then, there's not treatment for it?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by