I have newbies!

nikirushka

Songster
6 Years
Dec 2, 2014
As two of my three chicks were boys, I had a little shopping trip yesterday to bump up the girls as I was left with a 1:1 ratio. Not good!

So I bought home 7 noobs. I have these two gorgeous chicks:

And 5 older ones, 6-12 weeks old I believe.

Any thoughts on colours for the paler ones? The first one is like a really washed out roux dilute, if she'd been a few shades darker she'd have been one. The wild type markings are mostly there, just really faded and slightly ginger. The second I'm thinking maybe platinum and the last one (last three pics) I've no idea! She's greyer than she is in the pictures, I just can't get her colours right on here. Beautiful girl, very skittish though. The first pic looks the closest to her true colour.

Little silver tuxedo has a mucky bum - she looked a bit odd when I picked them up yesterday. Slightly swollen lower abdomen (squishy to touch) and smelly, loose poos. Her and the other silver were on chick crumb, they are now on turkey starter crumb. She's lively and seems healthy otherwise. Anything else I can/should do or will she recover now she's in a better setup (was overcrowded, outdoors, all ages together, layers pellets mixed with the chick crumb)?

Last edited:
Little silver tuxedo has a mucky bum - she looked a bit odd when I picked them up yesterday. Slightly swollen lower abdomen (squishy to touch) and smelly, loose poos. Her and the other silver were on chick crumb, they are now on turkey starter crumb. She's lively and seems healthy otherwise. Anything else I can/should do or will she recover now she's in a better setup (was overcrowded, outdoors, all ages together, layers pellets mixed with the chick crumb)?
That does sound like a stressful situation they were in and moving is also stressful for them. Hopefully some good nutrition and better housing will help. Just keep an eye on it and try to keep things as quiet as possible to help them relax. To be on the safe side keep them a good distance from your quail and wash your hands well between cages.

Thanks. The two chicks are both well away, I can't keep the rest away from my others as I've no room to but they are all in good health. I'll be watching them closely.

Thanks :) Very exciting indeed! I just wish I could find out for sure what mine are. I think the first one is what she looks like - some sort of diluted roux or, something else diluted by roux (if that makes sense). Maybe italian to roux as there were italians in the mix at the breeder's place, or roux in the gene mix somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom