I have no clue what this is, please help!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadyHawk_2006, May 18, 2008.

1. LadyHawk_2006

LadyHawk_2006 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Savannah, Ga
    Hi, I'm a brand new chicken mommie (I think). It sort of just got dropped in my lap! I work at a wildlife center and someone came in today that said he had a baby hawk he found in his yard and wanted to know what he should do with it. I asked him if I could see it so I could tell him what kind of hawk it was and when he opened the box, there was this little chicken face looking back at me! So I decided to adopt her, since he didn't want her and mu hubbie and I have been wanting to get a couple chickens for a long time. I say "her" but I have no clue. I was hoping someone could tell me what she is, I have almost no experience with chickens. I have kept a lot of different birds, just not chicken-like birds. At first I thought she might have been a young pheasant because of her coloring, but I noticed that she has a tiny little comb on her head, so it's gotta be some type of chicken and not a game bird, right? I can at least tell from her feathering that she is somewhere between a chick and a juvenile (stubby tail, juvie feathers on head, bare patches where adult fathers don't cover yet). At some angles she looks like a quail or some other upland game bird.

She's a very sweet little bird. She's obviously an escapee from somewhere because she seems imprinted on people because she will climb right up on me and hide under my hand if she gets scared. Right now she is sleeping on the back of my neck under my hair, and one of her wings is clipped. If you can tell me anything about her, I would be so happy!

Here's a pic of her in my hand:
    [​IMG]

A pic of her back:
    [​IMG]

Here's where you can see that little comb. It's not real clear, but it is very small and spikey. I know, it's a little cruel I took pictures of her on my stove, but we aren't going to eat her!
    [​IMG]

A side view. She's a little wet because she had been splashing in some water a bit earlier:
    [​IMG]

Her primaries and some of her tail feathers are silver/blue/gray:
    [​IMG]

Don't know if her feet could help ID'ing:
    [​IMG]

And her little stubby tail:
    [​IMG]

She's a very sweet little bird. She's obviously an escapee from somewhere because she seems imprinted on people because she will climb right up on me and if she gets scared she will hide under my hand and peek out. She will let me do anything to her, scratch her head, pick her up, carry her around, pat her feathers, open her wings, scratch under her wings. Right now she is sleeping on the back of my neck under my hair, and one of her wings is clipped. If you can tell me anything about her, I would be so happy!

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, I am no expert, but she looks loke a little EE (easter egger) roo to me. Very pretty!!!

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I agree it looks like an easter egger to me; but I think it is a pullet.

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Looks like an easter egger 2 me too. Hooray. green or blue eggs for you! (unless its a roo)

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yes on the easter egger...... looks like a little girl, something has chewed or pulled that tail - it looks a little torn up. That last pic - looks like feathers were cut - perhaps someone cut/trimmed her wing (?)
    I would guess she's around 8 - 10 weeks old - compared to the size of my Easter egg baby.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Well, it looks like she got lucky and found a Mama [​IMG] She looks like a very sweet EE.... such a cute face!!!!

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, I am agreeing girl....looking at her little comb. I was just thinking I saw some distinctive saddle feathers......but I think it is just her cute little wet look. [​IMG]

8. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] What a cutie!!! Congrats and thank you for adopting that little one. Looks like and EE to me.

9. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    Hi,
    Hope this helps identify your little chick.My grandson has a new chick(purchased around Easter) and your's looks just like his,same color and markings.It's a Aracona,it lays colored eggs(not old enough yet,of course) but should be light blue or green,at least that is what the man at the feed store said....it really doesn't matter to us,we just like her as a pet.I have chicks I bought at the same time.I love them,they're so sweet.I have a buff orpington,a aracona,a leghorn and a golden comet.We live on 3 acres and our daughter and son-in-law and 3 kids,live on 4 acres behind us.They also have 5 hens and two roosters(one is the devil himself)he's an attack rooster,he nails me every time I go near their coop!I guess he's just protacting his harem or he just thinks I'm an easy mark.... Sounds like your little chick has found an ideal home.... Sandy from ohio(sunbury chick(or old hen,)

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Very cute Easter Egger! [​IMG] I have several and they are wonderful birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by