I Have No Eggs

Root2Seed

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
So I have 2 hens and 2 pullets, the pullets have started laying their small starter eggs, and the hens have no egg-laying issues. For the past 3 weeks, however, I have gotten no hen eggs. I am still getting the pullet eggs and a lower frequency. Everyone is eating and drinking fine, no one is sick or acting strangely, no one is molting. I thought something might be stealing them, but the coop is fairly fortified and I have now been checking for eggs 4 times per day. Am I missing something, is there a reason my hens aren't laying?

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpeg
    IMG_1499.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
as light levels begin to decline, laying should slow - but it seems very early in the season for that. Molting does the same, but you've already checked for signs of that.

Assume you've checked vents for signs of gleet, and droppings for signs on parasites?

I'm not skilled enough, experienced enough, to begin to diagnose - BYC has real expert posters for that, but those tend to be the first explanations/checks to consider. and how old are the hens???

I see from the photo, thanks!, they aren't one of the RSL hybrids famed for reproductive issues at relatively young ages. So that's a plus.

as light levels begin to decline, laying should slow - but it seems very early in the season for that.
It's not too early. They can stop laying around mid august when they days begin to be exponentially shorter. The farther north one lives, the more obvious it is.

So I have 2 hens
How old are these birds, in months?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1634035435862.png

Appreciate the correction @aart. Top of the morning to you!

Easy to forget that in addition to being blessed with a long growing season, I have a long "light" season, too, down here near-ish the southern US border.

/edit (from the Source Aart mentions, below).

Sunrise: 6:45 AM
Sunset: 6:16 PM
Day length: 11h 31m 15s
Solar noon: 12:30 PM

NY, NY's day is already more than 15 minutes shorter than my own, for comparison.

Last edited:
Appreciate the correction @aart. Top of the morning to you!

Easy to forget that in addition to being blessed with a long growing season, I have a long "light" season, too, down here near-ish the southern US border.
You might be interested in checking out dateandtime.info/citysunrisesunset
Gives day lengths.

Back
Top Bottom