I have no Idea what is wrong with my RIR chick. Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Purple27, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Purple27

Purple27 New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    A little over a week ago I took my 3 rhode Island Red chicks out side ( They were 3 weeks old) Suddenly one just took off running in fear. She tried to hide and ran into things.
    Then she would look as if she had no controle of her body. She would recover and when I put her back in the box she would be fine.She only does it when I take them outide. She is 5 weeks old now and she still does it.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with her?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Panic attack? I have no idea, but she must be very fearful.

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I've no idea either, I'm sorry! Hopefully someone will be along soon with some suggestions.

I've read about people giving Rescue Remedy to panicky chickens and it's helped. Got me through my driving test too! [​IMG]

4. Purple27

Purple27 New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    I have tried to keep her calm. I carried her and let her sit in my lap but it doesn't seem to help.

5. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Does she normally like to be carried? My girls get very grumpy with me when I try!
    Maybe next time you take them all out you could put her in a wire cat carrier or similar, so she can see out but is still 'safe'. You might need to start with it partially covered with a towel and gradually increase how much she sees? That's probably what I'd try.

6. Purple27

Purple27 New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    I don't think she likes to be carried but she stays still when I walk around with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by