I have no idea what kind of chickens I have!!??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pepperlady, Jun 24, 2011.

1. pepperlady

pepperlady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    I got chickens for Mother's Day from my darling 3 daughters. I've never been around chickens before, so everything I know, I've pretty much learned from here [​IMG]

All of my girls were supposed to be RIR, but 3 of them are looking VERY different. I think that the were probably only a couple of weeks old when I got them (they were all still down covered), so that would put them at about 6-8 weeks old now?? I thought some of you might be able to tell me what kind they are????

[​IMG]

Thanks! I love my chickens!!!

2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Speckled Sussex! I have two and they are beautiful, as are yours!

3. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    No doubt... speckled Sussex. You will love them!

Are we asking about the one in the back too? Not a speckled sussex. Can we get a better pic of that one?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. pepperlady

Jun 24, 2011
    WOW! Thank you so much! They got them from the local feed store and that wasn't even listed as one of the kinds that they had received!! But I KNEW that they didn't look like any of the pictures of what they were supposed to have, LOL It's very nice to know. I just looked them up & sure enough!! The pictures that I have found look just like my little chickies did when I got them. You guys are quick!

5. pepperlady

Jun 24, 2011
    Quote:The one in the back is one of my Rhode Island Reds. I'm 99% sure on those, but the 3 sussex I didn't have a clue what they were!! Thanks!

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Aw, you are going to be so happy with them! They're a very flexible and easygoing breed. I personally like them more than RIR. They'll lay a lot of eggs (roughly 260 a year), but can also make a good meat bird. They also are very flexible about either free-ranging or confinement.

I always look at feedstore bins as chicken roulette, it's kind of exciting to not know 100% what you are going to get!

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Speckled Sussex is right! Ooooh, one of my favorite breeds!!!

Here is my Maple, not the best pic of her though.lol

[​IMG]

8. pepperlady

Jun 24, 2011
    Your Maple is pretty! Looks alot like mine did a few weeks ago! Thanks for sharing your pic.

9. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Speckled Sussex!!! I love them [​IMG] I bought last year and bought more this year.
    They are so easy to handle, very friendly, they won't leave you alone when you are in yard with them!
    Enjoy [​IMG]

10. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I agree - looks just like my 6 week old speckled sussex - sadly my gal is looking more like a guy - not sure I can handle a roo but I love its disposition is the first to jump on my lap and let me pet her/him. I hope yours are as sweet as my gal/guy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by