I have no idea what's wrong with my chicken...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PekinBantam, Jan 8, 2013.

1. A few days ago, one of my young pekin-mix roos got sick. He keeps gasping for air and now, half his body feels bloated with air while the other half is skin and bones, even the leg doesn't have muscle. I don't know what this is or how it happened. A few weeks before this happened I went on a trip and left the chickens in the care of my older cousin, he doesn't know what happened either. I was hoping that someone would know what's wrong with him and how to help. We are currently giving him two siringes of electrolights. Anyone can help?

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry for you. If you posted some pictures I could get a better idea of the problem. This is doesn't sound like a virus to me. Has he eaten at all since he fell sick? What about water? Does he have any visible wounds? Hope he recovers.
    PS Could it possibly be that he ate something poisonous?

3. I don't think that he ate anything poisonous, but you never know... He is eating, but if he takes in too much at a time, he will start to cough it up. There are no visible wounds on him and we are giving him water. My mom observed him while I was at school and said that she doesn't think he's defecating, I'm not sure how to help that. I'm not sure when I could post pics, (I always go to an internet cafe and rarely my own laptop) but I'll try to use my USB key to do it soon.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Yes the pictures would really help work out what is wrong with him. I read what you posted but it still sounds to me like possible poisoning. It's not good if he's not defecating. What have you been feeding him?

5. Powdered corn and a grain mix, but the chickens are free-ranging.

6. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

If you rub his chest do you feel a hard lump or a mushy swollen bag where his crop is?

Any discharge from his eyes or nose? does he sound wheezy?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. It's more like it's filled with air, but yes, it is swollen.

8. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

I'm not too experienced with chicken illnesses yet, mostly just educated by reading through old threads, but you may want to check this thread out to see if any of it sounds like what your roo is experiencing...
    I'll try to see if I can find more threads that could help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...impacted-gizard-sour-crop-differences-in-each

I'm hoping a member named 'cowcreekgeek' (hope I didn't just really mess up their name) sees this... they are very well educated on the ins and outs of chicken medicine and may be able to provide much better directions or questions to help you figure it out.

9. I am sorry to say that Ryan died yesterday while I was at school... Thanks for all your help guys. He was one of my favorites, too bad.

R.I.P Ryan

10. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    OH NO I am so sorry PekinBantam!!! [​IMG] So so sorry for your loss but don't give it up. It wasn't your fault and I'm sure you treated Ryan well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by