I have no idea.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CalChickens, May 22, 2010.

1. CalChickens

CalChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    about 24 hours ago one of my buffs wen tto a nest box to lay an egg, but she is still in there. As far as i know she hasnt moved. Ive given her some food and she eats it like regular. I cheked her underside and everything looks regular. she is staining her neck and making very loud noises when i go near her though. We have no roosters, so i dont know what to do. Anyone???

2. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    I'm not experienced with such a long set, but I don know more information would be helpful.
    Breed?
    Age?
    Is she already a layer?

3. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    Oops! I see that she's a BO.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sounds like she may be broody!! Is she clucking, puffing up, or pecking when you get near her? I see that you said she's making loud noises - is it like a scream or a cluck? I'm pretty sure you've got a broody.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  5. CalChickens

Jan 31, 2010
    age- about 7 months
    egg layer
    making loud screaming noises when i get near her, only a little clucking she is also deffinetly puffing up
    sry , but what is a "broody"?

6. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Broody means that she wants to sit on eggs so that they will hatch. In other words, she wants to be a mama. If you put chicken eggs under her, they will take 21 days to hatch. Here's some more information - http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKBroody.html

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I suppose she could be broody. I've had chickens go broody in the first year. I would take her off the nest and see what happens. If you want her to not go broody then that's another story. I personally wouldn't let her go broody this young, making a concerted effort to discourage her.

Also in taking her off the nest you could see if there is something more extreme going on.

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yes, most likely broody. Place an egg in front of her...if she tucks it under her she's broody.

9. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I have a 7-month-old Barred Rock that went broody and is doing a fine job raising the chicks. Good luck with whatever you decide.

10. CalChickens

Jan 31, 2010
    thank you i will try that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by