I Have Officially Been Flogged!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickengirl2013, Feb 2, 2013.

1. chickengirl2013

chickengirl2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Loganville, Georgia
    For the first time since we got our Rhode Island Red chickens, the roo, George, flogged me three times today. I think because the flock is so scittish, I scared them some how. George has also been mounting the hens and running them a lot lately. If he keeps this behavior up, he might hurt one of the hens, which would leave me with no choice but to trade him.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. chickengirl2013

Jan 5, 2013
    Loganville, Georgia
    Haha yeah he is just begining growing out of the pullet stage and his hormones are raging. Some of my hens are just begining to lay so I think he is more protective of them, too.

4. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I doubt he harms one of his girls you on the other hand will probably get some sore legs lol....Its funny now but once them spurs grow in good ouch!!....I agree with knocking him off of the hen also you may want to pin him to the ground for a few minutes just to show him whos the boss

5. chickengirl2013

Jan 5, 2013
    Loganville, Georgia
    His spurs are not grown out yet, but I think that when they do grow out, I am going to clip them...

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have young children? Roosters can severely injure them because they are shorter and unable to fight them off! There is nothing humorous about a roo flogging anyone. Please don't rationalize his behavior.

There are so many nice roos people are selling or giving away because they aren't allowed to have roosters. There is never a good reason to keep a bad one.

7. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Speaking of flogging and roosters being mean look what mine did....He took a bite out of me when I went to pick him up

[​IMG]

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Don't keep a mean rooster.

9. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    If you show him who is boss he may stop it. There's some great threads on here showing how to assert your dominance. Our roo sometimes arcs up at us, and I stand over him and roar "NO! I AM THE ROOSTER!' and then I might chase him with the Broom of Doom (I never hit him). He hates the Broom because he can attack it all he likes, but the Broom does not react! After that he calms down. Meanwhile my neighbours are probably rolling around on the ground laughing!

10. chickengirl2013

Jan 5, 2013
    Loganville, Georgia
    George has not flogged anyone since he flogged me but I believe that he will try agian.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by