I have one bird that is SKINNY!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Natalijaasbj, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Natalijaasbj

Natalijaasbj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Hi!
    It is going to be my first butchering of some roosters and I have a question.
    I have some 5 months old roosters that need to go. One of them is kindda skinny.
    When he was 4 weeks he got sick, and was bad for 3-4 days(probably cocchi, but I am not sure). Eventually he got better, but he never was pirky "himself" as before the sickness. The problem was - he became clumsy and seemed to have a problem with equilibrium. The fact is he has not been walking much. Just from time to time and then plopped down again. He seemed to be eating okey, did not seem to be in pain all these months. Now he is 5 months old. I do not really want so many roosters around(I have all heritage birds - he is one of my Black Copper Marans) and i do not see a point to feed him further.
    At the same time he is kindda skinny, because he does not eat too much. Anyway, he does not seem to gain weight anymore.
    My question is : if I butcher him, what can I use him for? Probably only for broth? Or Should I wait and hope he will gain more weight? Or at 5 months of age he is done growing and there is no point of waiting?
    Thank you for your advice!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They can keep putting on weight as they age... kind of like humans, LOL, but by 5 months most have gotten to like 90% of their final weight. Their main growth spurt so to say has passed. I'd just use him for soup. By 5 months, many are getting tough enough as to be good for soup or slow cooking only anyway.

3. Natalijaasbj

Natalijaasbj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Thank you very much for your response. Very helpful![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by