I have one chick hatched! ~~ PICTURES!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Montanna, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Montanna

Montanna Out Of The Brooder

7 Eggs ready to go into the incubator 12-12-07
    The Incubator
    Placing the eggs in the incubator, it is going to be a Loooooooong 21 days!
    First pip, I found it on a welfare check early New Years Morning.
    By mid morning, the pip was bigger
    The zip is done and chick is getting ready to meet the world!
    Here is Ida, ready or not!
    Ida is free of her egg shell. She had a little trouble getting rid of the last little bit of membrane hang-up
    Empty egg shell laying on the log book. There are still 6 eggs in the incubator, with no signs of movement, or pipping.
    This is little Ida, (she has to be a pullet! I did the dance, the chant and waving of the magic "Pullet Wand" over the incubator the whole 20-21 days!

That is my story of my first hatch. Didn't get as many as I would have liked, but there is always next time! I have some australorp eggs coming mid-january.

How long should I leave the current eggs in the incubator, before we give up on them? These were eggs from my buff cross hens.

Thanks for the encouragement and all the help I received during this hatch. At least one has hatched, and seems to be doing okay.

I have followed many stories of hatching on here, now I have a little one of my own! I am happy, but still disappointed that only one hatched.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    YAY!!! Congratulations!!
  3. echickenlove

echickenlove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    Bella Vista AR
    Congrats! Wow that is really neat and what a beautiful little baby! Thanks for sharing those pics with us!
  4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    If the eggs are intact - no oozing or other sign of spoilage, you can leave them in there to day 23 or 24.

Congrats on the baby - she is a cutie!

[​IMG] for the rest...
  5. judyisfun

judyisfun Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2007
    Victoria BC Ca
    Congrats, she is a sweetie:)
  6. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    nice...... i like the idea with the pipe cleaners. i will try that. i turn by hand and i always have one roll while turning .. thanks for posting ur pic-...........johnny
  7. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Congrats - she's a cutie. It's an amazing feeling when they pop out of the shell.
  8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Congrats! Yep, Ida's got to be a pullet if you waved The Magic Pullet Wand!!!
  9. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very cute and definitely a pullet!!! (that's go to be a self-fulfilling prophecy!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by