I have one chicken and I am adding another chicken to the mix. Can I add it right away?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LucyBO16, Oct 14, 2016.

1. LucyBO16

LucyBO16 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I used to have two chickens. Two days ago, one of my chickens got killed by my neighbor's dog. Now I only have one Buff Orpington. I am getting another chicken tonight. Can I add the new chicken right away?

2. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    It depends on how old your remaining chicken is and how old the new one is.

3. LucyBO16

Oct 13, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    The one I have right now is 30 weeks old. The one I am getting is 28 weeks old.

4. LucyBO16

Oct 13, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    The one I have right now is 30 weeks old. The one I am getting is 28 weeks old.

5. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I think it depends on your set up, how big their coop is and if they're free ranging or confined. But generally it's best to keep them where they can see each other but not interact for a few days. Do you have a dog kennel or something to put the new girl in? Also, make sure the new girl is healthy and doesn't have any disease she can spread to your other hen.

6. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Also, what breed is the new hen?

7. LucyBO16

Oct 13, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for answering. They have a small coop that is only fit for 2 hens that they sleep in at night. They free range all day. The new hen is a Red Sex Link. I do have a dog crate that I could put one in.

8. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    Since they aren't very far apart in age, they should be okay. There will be a pecking order established, but chickens generally get along with new chickens introduced into the flock, as long as there isn't a huge difference in age. Just keep an eye on them when you first introduce them and check to make sure none of them are bleeding or hurt from excessive pecking or fighting. They should get use to each other's company in no time [​IMG]

9. LucyBO16

Oct 13, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  10. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I'd definitely be careful introducing them; the red chickens can be known for being dominant and bossy, and orpingtons can be very submissive. If they're free ranging, they should be fine because they can get away from each other. That's a good way to introduce them, but you might need to watch them at night for awhile, to make sure that one doesn't keep the other from going into the coop.

It may be best to keep the new girl in the dog kennel for a few days anyway, so she knows where her new home is. There was a thread on here last week where the poster's new chicken ran away from home the first day. They eventually found the chicken a few days later, at a neighboring farm. The chicken had left because she didn't realize that was her new home, the poster had let her out to free range the day he got her, and she took off.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by