I have one lonely little chick out of our "hatch"...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CBarrett, Mar 11, 2013.

1. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    I feel like the chick should be interacting somehow with other chicks so I put a little teddy bear in there which he does cuddle with. Is there anything else I can do to make sure he doesn't get too lonely? I'm afraid when it's time to put him in with other chickens he won't be socialized enough or have a clue about what is going on.. What can I do??? He is 2 days old and doing great otherwise. I'm half-tempted to go to Tractor Supply and just buy him a couple of brooder mates... ??

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    If possible I would get him/her a few brooder mates.. otherwise, let him/her keep his/her stuffed toy companion. When he/she gets his/her juvenile coat in.. consider setting up a wire cage in your coop area so he/she can be around the others and they can get used to seeing him/her. That way, by the time he/she is big enough to fend for his/herself, he/she should be accepted into the flock with a minimum amount of injury (do expect some pecking/chest bumping/kicking as he/she establishes their place in the pecking order.)

Just be sure not to put it where the entire cage is in direct sun, and put in dishes for food/water.

3. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    I'm thinking of getting a couple brooder mates... thanks for your suggestions! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by