I have one that hatched ..HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsherman, Apr 30, 2008.

1. mrsherman

mrsherman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]:eek:[​IMG]
    I came home from work and see one of my chicks hatched and other's are peeping...it look's like it's still in half of the egg shell and it's chirping up a storm..it's in the bator and it's 99 in there OMG my heart is beating so fast..do i leave it in there?? can it breath?? OMG someone help me!!

Ok I am done Freaking out ..for now..she i will call her a girl for now..chirps ALOUT is that normal?? also what if she is the only one out and dry do i move just her?? ALSO she is jumping around alout and bumping the other peeping eggs is that ok??
    Sorry folk's new mommy here..How long do I leave the hatched chicks in the bator before transferring them to the brooder?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    No do not move her, do not help her. Search the site I read where you leave them for up to 24-48 hours I think it said. ALso that you wait till all are hatched or the majority. Late hatches are not as thrifty. supposedly.

Here is a link to this very subject. Do nothing, let them do their thing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41782

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, just wait and don't even think about opening the bator, even if it requires duct taping your hands together behind your back. Best of luck.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    With all due respect why would you wait until chicks were hatching to find out what to do?

5. mrsherman

mrsherman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Michigan
    I am new to all this (NYREDS)..and you would think after weeks ans weeks of studying everything there is about them ,you would know..but when you hatch your first one you panic..and yes that was a RUDE questions..

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    No, it was an honest question. I do not understand posts like yours [and ther are many like it here]. Some are even worse ie: I just bought chicks at the feed store-they are so cute-can I feed them rice? Yes, this was a real post.
    I firmly believe that when people take on caring for animals they have an obligation to provide proper care and that the time to learn what proper care entails is before you get the animals not after. Apparently you didn't quite study everything about them did you?
    I don't think my question was rude at all. Direct yes, rude no. I do think your response was rude however.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hey all, let' not let this thread deteriorate. We all come to BYC with different experiences and backgrounds and we should all be respective of that.

Everyone is entitled to asking for help and receiving answers to questions. If you don't like a question or an answer please just avoid that thread... there about about 250 new threads per day and 48,000 old ones that you can read instead.

8. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    How is your chick doing? I am sure you will find a lot of wonderful support and information on here. Some people move their chicks immediately and feel they dry out sooner in the brooder and don't bump the other eggs. And some are adament about leaving them in the hatcher until they are all hatched. Do what you feel comfortable with. But make sure the brooder is ready for them before you move them. They need a heat lamp that is warming the area to 95 degrees. They don't need to eat or drink for 24 hours. Hope all is going well! Keep us updated as they hatch and when you can post pics! Blessings to you, Suz

9. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I am probley going to be the same way. I am not a very patient person in general this 21 day wait thing will probley kill me. Good luck with the baby chicks. [​IMG]

10. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

good luck! i hope all your babies hatch! i will probly worry myself into a comma with the 21 day thing... gosh... [​IMG] i hope mine hatch too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by