I have picked my chicks for 2007

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Napalongtail, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
  2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    They are beautiful especially the 3rd one.

jackie

3. Napalongtail

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Jackie the third one is MY FAVORITE! He stood out from the get go. His grandfather is at 54inches and his father in the breed pen had a 36 inch tail. Daddy is the BBR (Diego) in my photo album.

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, those are just gorgeous little boys!!! Can't wait to see them when they mature.

What breeds are they?

Lori

5. Napalongtail

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    They are phoenix. I can't wait either [​IMG], They take so long to see what they'll end up like and each year is a huge gamble [​IMG] as to which ones to keep.[​IMG] So far I've done well I'm soooo hoping for the new Brown reds to come along.

6. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    graham, bob an george in that order! very cute !

7. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    for their names i meant:D

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have a question on these birds. I have a pair of Silver Pheonix. I believe they are about 17 weeks old. We are in the process of building thier own run and place in the new coop. How tall does the run need to be? Do they need outside perches? I am going to cover the run....so they dont get picked off. Mine are both very friendly...and small. Do they stay small? Are they a "banty size"? I am new to these, but just love them.

9. Napalongtail

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Justusnak, Your phoenix will try and fly ,but very much less so when cooped. Since you are covering the yard space a fence tall enough for you to comfortably walk in is sufficient.Yes, They would like at least one roost outside of their building. I have a small one near my hen house and the babies love to just set their and snooze in the shade. A 3 ft tall single roosting bar is great for inside the building.

Most Phoenix in the Standard sizes do stay smallish 3-3.5 lb hens and about 5lb roos. I have had a few fellas get bigger in fact I've used them to help maintain size as they seem to (want to refine too much) with close breeding (IMO). There are also Bantam Phoenix too , althought these must be procured from a private breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by