I have pips!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by govega, Jan 21, 2009.

1. govega

govega Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2008
    Allentown NJ
    Well I haven't posted after my last disappointing attempt at hatching, but our egg provider was generous enough to send me a new batch of eggs and on Jan 1st instead of partying we set the eggs. We put the incubator in a quieter part of the house and used an automatic egg turner this time.

We also threw in an egg from our favorite hen, Rosie, who is a RIR.

So we started with 9 eggs... after 3 or 4 days we candled them and could detect no action except on Rosie's egg. We kept candling them and could not determine anything, the eggs we have are very dark and hard to see. After about a 6 days my husband threw in another two eggs from our own hens because we figured if Rosie's was the only one hatched at least the chick would have company when brooding.

Last night I was startled to hear peeping while watching Star Trek! This is so exciting I cannot even go to work today. I have two of the Aurucuana bantams with pips!! One has stuck something out but it is towards the bottom of the egg so I cannot really see. The other (top) is pipped on the top! I am SOO EXCITED!!!! I have to make sure the babies are okay when they arrive!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Yay!!!! Babies!

3. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Congrats!!! Can't wait to see the baby pics! [​IMG]

4. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    [​IMG]

Very happy to hear about your progress.

Come on chicks!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    yay [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ive got hatched and 2 pipped for a 100% hatch under my broody

hope it all goes well for ya [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Yay! congrats!! [​IMG]

7. govega

Nov 7, 2008
    Allentown NJ
    I have a question, one of the eggs is pipping on the bottom of the egg.. I can see the beakshoved out but I don't see movement, but it is hard to tell because it is almost upside down. Should I do anything? Turn the egg, or leave it?

The other egg's chick is working hard to get out... there are now a series of cracks over the tops and she/he is pecking away....

I am afraid the upside down one is drowned or will drown? Or should I just see?

8. govega

Nov 7, 2008
    Allentown NJ
    Here is my first chickie out....

I am a mom!!!

Well, my DH and I finally "had babies" (second marriage [​IMG])

[​IMG]

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:aw congrats! new parents! [​IMG]

10. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:it's hard to say really.. i have had chicks pip the same way and hatch..then had some pip the same way and drown

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by