I have power!

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
So for like, weeks now, I've been trying to think of a way to get power to my coop, to heat the water and add a light. Thinking and thinking... to run an extension cord from the house, without leaving a window cracked or a basement door open... didn't come up with anything.

Then, 5 minutes ago while I was sitting there calling my chickens sissies for not coming outside (even though it's over 40 degrees right now, cloudy, but not raining)... I had a huge DUUUUUUUH moment.

Such a duh moment, I should just quit procrastinating and color my hair blonde. LOL

We have a swimming pool. It has a filter. The filter, has an electrical outlet, weather protected, OUTSIDE.... like 30 feet from the coop. THIRTY FEET, way closer than the house is.

Pool filter, is put away for winter. That frees the outlet up for chicken heat, which is only needed in the winter. How awesome is that?

Duh... how did I not think of this sooner? Now all I need to do is dig a trench to bury the extension cord, and staple one of those surge protected multiple power supply things to the ceiling of the coop.

That'll keep rain water from following the power cord, it'll keep the birds from tripping/pooping/roosting on the cords by having everything above them and dropping down to the lamp/water heater.

Burying the cord will keep a curious puppy from chewing on it. Was thinking about putting a milk jug over the outlet... but I think that would attract puppy attention. He left the filter cord alone all summer.

Let there be eggs and no ice in the water this winter!

Do not bury the extention cord!
Go a head, do it right. The circuit can be extended from the existing pool outlet to the coop. Done correctly it wouldn't cost you much more than a heavy duty extention cord. If you do the work yourself.
Conduit is $8.40 per 100 foot, 50' of 14/2wg maybe $15-$20, box/rectp/cover another $10. Can of PVC pipe glue, cutting pliers, pocketknife, screwdriver and a shovel. Your in with Flynn everything done right and safely. And permanently.
By the way--- your pool pump is powered by 110v, right? Mine uses 220v.

Oh-- one more thing!
The 14/2 wire is good for a 15 amp circuit. If the circuit is fused at 20 amps and it could be, you need to use 12/2wg and the heavy duty 20 amp recpt. Also, anything plugged into that circuit needs to be rated at 20 amps.

Back
Top Bottom