1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have purchased the ChickenDIYguides.com product

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ccocalis, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ccocalis

ccocalis New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    I am trying to build the large coop from the ChickenDIY guides and I am having a tough time deciphering the directions. Has anyone else built this large coop and do you have any suggestions?

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I'd be curious to see if anyone else is using those guides. To be honest I've always considered them to be a bit of an internet scam. When you do a search on google you come up with all sorts of very complimentary reviews, so many in fact, that they come across as fake reviews. Based on the ads for these plans I'm wondering if their "plans" are nothing more than a large collection of CAD drawings.

Anyway that's all been speculation on my part... What's your impression of the product?

3. ccocalis

ccocalis New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    I am beginning to agree with you, they were not cheap and the quality of the directions leave a lot to be desired. My neighbor who is in the construction business is helping me so hopefully I can finish this. Will let you know how it turns out and if DIY us on any help

4. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    We are building an 8 x 10 shed, we got plans off the internet for the shed, 5.00. We have had to re engineer it for our location, and our needs. Looked at all the other "DIY" stuff. We really find the stuff on BYC more helpful than our plans!

5. ccocalis

ccocalis New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    do you remember where you got your plans?

6. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    I bought it on Buildeasy.com Their plans are more metric, and my DH and I not having any experience missed some crucial steps and had to fix some mistakes we made. It did give us some basics... We moved the door, put up on skids with cinderblocks and stimpson holddown straps. We purchased a door, and had to adjust for that. But it was a start.

7. JPrice9910

JPrice9910 New Egg

Jun 8, 2012
    We started the BackYard Homestead and are struggling on this project. These plans ARE NOT for beginners. There ARE NO step-by-step instructions. The drawings/pictures are not consistent and most are too light to read. I wish we had chosen a different design.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by