I have questions about Marek's

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittlePeck, Feb 7, 2017.

1. LittlePeck

LittlePeck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2015
    It's confirmed that my flocks of lovelies have Marek's. If I pull the eggs and incubate them, will the little ones have Marek's? If I request immunizations from the hatchery and they are eventually put in with the others, my understanding is that they won't get ill, but will become carriers, correct? Does that mean that healthy chickens will become ill if exposed to the carriers?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you are dealing with Mareks. Have you checked out "The Great Big Giant Mareks Faq" yet? It is a long but good article on about every question about Mareks. If you go to the top of this page to the search box, you will find it. Mareks is not transmitted through the egg, but the eggs would probably need to be sanitized as hatcheries do with their eggs. I don't know how to sanitize, but it may be a dilute bleach solution, but you surely could find that info somewhere online. All chickens in the flock are carriers, and the disease may last for 7 or more years in the environment. Each new chicken will become infected with the virus, but if they have had the vaccine and been kept away from the disease (chickens, dander, dust) for at least 3 weeks, they shouldn't suffer from the effects of the disease. Some threads by members with Mareks in their flocks still may have chickens get the disease, even with all of the caution. Google Mareks disease for many more articles.

3. LittlePeck

LittlePeck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2015
    Thank you for your reply, truly. I feel I have a good starting point now!
    (bok-bok-bok!)

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. Just post again if you have any more questions, or need some links to read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by