I have questions about the genetics of silkie crosses

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Georgia Boy 1970, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

If I use a silkie male on my cochin hens,will all the chicks have dark skin? Now if I reverse this cross, cochin male over silkie hens,will all their chicks have dark skin? I had read somewhere that in silkie crosses if the hen was silkie that one sex was light skinned and the other was dark skinned.Can't remember where I read it.Was wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks
    Sorry I posted this in the wrong place.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I've done silkie crosses - and most of the time the skin and legs are either dark or slate. - doesn't matter on gender or mating (silkie roo over d'uccle hen and d'uccle roo over a silkie hen) - both roos and pullets from these crossings were all dark.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Dark skin is dominant...doesn't matter which way you do it.

4. twindaddy43

twindaddy43 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    NE, OK
    I read somewhere that Silkies had darker organs and that they were healthier for you to eat (something about antioxidants I'm an uneducated on chickens) but my question is who would want to eat such a small bird and a unique one at that.

5. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks,was planning my breeding projects for next year.I plan to breed some silkie crosses for eye candy and broody hens.Want to get away from using the incubator as much as I have in the past. I like to see hens with chicks running around the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by