I have questions!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by misslogan019, Feb 29, 2016.

1. misslogan019

misslogan019 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    Georgia
    I have never had chickens before, and I plan to get some soon. I have many questions, but can only think of a few at the time lol. Please help

1. How do I keep bugs like ticks, fleas, mites off my chickens?

2. How do I deworm my chickens? What do I use? And when?

3. When can I put my chicks outside? And how do I go about that?

2. MChicken1303

MChicken1303 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    My Coop
    It is a rare occasion when they get mites and lice and fleas. If you chicken gets worms you should put red pepper flakes in their water, they don't have taste buds so they won't care and it will kill the worms. You will see worms in their droppings. It depends where you live to let then out. I have a hawk problem so I just stand outside with them. Get them in before dusk and let them out anytime after dawn. You just open the coop door and they will all run out. Just saying, they like to eat gardens and dig mulch up. :p:yiipchick

3. misslogan019

Feb 28, 2016
    Georgia
    When I get my chicks, how long do I need to leave them in a brooder? And how do I go about moving them from inside to outside so they don't get sick if it's a little cold?

4. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    As long as they are fully feathered they are fine to go outside. I usually put mine out between 8 and 12 weeks depending on the size and feathering. By then Macon will be plenty warm enough to keep your chicks warm outside.

1 person likes this.
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You can actually raise the chicks outside in your coop. In fact, it's healthier for the chicks to be raised in their natural environment. They can tolerate quite cold temperatures as long as you have an adequate heat source for them and they're protected from drafts and dampness.

To read how I brood my chicks outdoors, click on the second link below in my sig line. There are numerous benefits to brooding outdoors. It might surprise you.

As for mites, worms, and other parasites, I've had my flock for eight years and never had any of those things. I know for certain because I've had them tested. So there's no guarantee you'll even have to address that issue at all.

1 person likes this.
  6. MenaChicken

MenaChicken New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    How long can eggs stay in a nest before a hen sits

7. misslogan019

Feb 28, 2016
    Georgia
    I went out today to fix my run up, and I am eaten up with ticks. Will my chickens eat the ticks? Or will they get on them also? And before I put my chickens outside what can I put on the ground for ticks?

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Whatever you do, do NOT use any insecticide around your coop or run or yard! OMG! I learned that lesson the hard way, believe me! It's so hard to watch you chicken die after they drink from a puddle where insecticide had been sprayed weeks ago and re-constituted to it lethal form. Please make that the number one rule you follow from now on.

Yes, chickens will eat every tick they encounter, gleefully, greedily, and efficiently. They are the perfect insect control experts. Let a tick drop onto a chicken, and quicker than you can say "tick" another chicken will pick it right off and gobble it down.

Say goodbye to your tick problem.

1 person likes this.
  9. misslogan019

Feb 28, 2016
    Georgia

Haha ok that's GREAT!!! And I won't thank you for your help, I'm so excited for my chicks :)

10. misslogan019

Feb 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Can you put younger chickens with older ones?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by