I have rediscovered raw cow's milk

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lilshadow, Oct 21, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I use to drink fresh cow's milk when I was younger, and my mamaw would have us milk the cow every morning. I haven't drank fresh milk in 35 years. I have a friend that I visited, and she has cow's. I had ask them if I could try some of their milk, and they gave me a glass. It is the best milk that I have had in years. I am not a milk drinker at all. I would buy milk from the store to use for cooking, and in my cereal. I am on my second gallon of milk in three days. I have been reading up on raw milk, and all that good stuff. I am now ready to buy myself a cow just so that I can have the milk. I made my first batch of butter which was fun to do, and my next thing is to make yogurt using Miss Prissy's recipe. Yes, I know about the FDA, and all of that, but I don't care what they say. I am drinking raw milk from now on. My next thing is to try goats milk.

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I hear goat's milk is sweeter, creamier and better for you. We had to give it to my youngest, he has cow's milk/soy milk allergies from birth, but the goat's milk was powdered, boxed or canned and BIG BUCKS even then, 26-27 years ago. I often wondered if a goat would have been cheaper to keep. [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Our goats will be arriving in about 1.5wks. One of them is due to kid in about 2months, so I have a little while longer to wait for milk, but I know it will be worth it!

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! I am also recently back on the raw milk.

Problem is - I don't like all the cream! I have to give away a pint or so of cream out of every gallon!!

Let us know how the cow project goes... I have a small cow (Dexter) to try milking whenever she calves. We don't know when she was bred, but I'm a little worried that her bag is starting to look more prominent. Not really filling, but not as small as it was a month ago...

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I would like to have a goat and have givin it some light thought, I have an old recipe for Italian Romano cheese my Sicilian Grandmother gave me from the old country. Sure would like to try.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I grew up on raw milk. We would skim the cream off... make butter etc..., I imagine that now I'm so used to 2% that I could never go back.

7. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I get very excited about the cream because I can make butter, whip cream and also have real cream for coffee in the morning. I am getting ready to skim the cream off in just a little bit. I too want to get a dairy goat, it's just that they are so expensive in my area. Anyway, I am all for raw milk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by