I have returned after seven years

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickieKeeta, Jul 1, 2016.

1. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    Hello! I quit having chickens because of neighbor kids coming in my yard with their dogs chasing my chickens. Discussions with their parents and my gifts of dozens of eggs did not help. I had tried hatching Ameraucana eggs several times. My last incubated dozen finally yielded one chick!!! I bought 2 barred rock chicks to keep it company. After a few weeks I filled a doghouse with wood shavings. I installed a stainless steel shelf with a red heat lamp. I attached it to a run and put the three chicks in it. I had a feeder and waterer in the run. A few days later I had gone out for the day and returned after dark to find an empty run and nothing else! That was the last straw!! I took all my chickens and equipment to the local auction. Fast forward seven years. I just bought a coop. It is attached (on the outside) to a chain link kennel 6 by 12 feet and six feet tall. The top is covered with chicken wire. I got 2 five month old and four 3 month old RIR pullets. Tonight, while they were sleeping, I added 1 wheaton Ameraucana rooster. 1 wheaton, 1 blue and 1 black Ameraucana hens. I sure hope things work out much better this time. I plan to build a bigger coop and a tractor run by mid autumn.

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    So good to hear that you're back in the business! I'm really sorry that things went south for you last time. I probably wouldn't have been nice after a couple of times of asking nicely on top of gifting eggs. The cops probably would've been involved. But now that that's water under the bridge, I hope all goes well for you! [​IMG]

3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    Welcome back! I hope this go-round goes smoothly.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome back!

-Kathy

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope things go well this time. Maybe your neighbors and their kids are in prison by now, and you'll have some peace with your chickens.

6. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope things go well this time. Maybe your neighbors and their kids are in prison by now, and you'll have some peace with your chickens.

1 person likes this.
  7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear of your past misfortunes. Hoping this is a better round for you and your chickens. Welcome back:D

8. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. So far so good. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed having chickens.
    Drumstick Diva, what a great and comforting thought! maybe they are in prison.

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    ....maybe something happened in their lives that humbled them and turned them into some good people. [​IMG]

Ed

10. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    We used to have a lot of vandalism from kids that lived in a house behind us. One day I realized it wasn't happening anymore. I figured they either got killed in some gang business or they were in jail. Who knows?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by